Content Pane Problem

Darum

Greetings!

I'm facing two related problems in developing a Java Applet.

My applet class extends JApplet.

1) The current default layout of the whole window (not individual
components) seems to be a flowLayout. I'd like to set the layout to a
gridBagLayout, however the setLayout command does not seem to be
understood (my compiler is eclipse, JRE 1.5.0 and JDK 5.0), so I
cannot get the following code to work, no specific error msg
generated:
getContentPane.setLayout(new GridBagLayout);

2) similar problem, cannot setBackground or setForeground of the
overall pane.

Please Advise, thanks.

-Darum

Andrew Thompson

Darum wrote:
I'm facing two related problems in developing a Java Applet.

You are probably not up to solving them.
Applets are for those that are already
experienced GUI designers, and GUI
design requires a good understanding
of core J2SE, compiling & debugging.
You seem to possess none of this
knowledge, and none of those skills.

(I suggest you) Hire a consultant.
...(my compiler is eclipse, JRE 1.5.0 and JDK 5.0), so I
cannot get the following code to work, no specific error msg
generated:

Really? That Eclipse/JDK combo. is apparently broken,
because this snippet of code..
getContentPane.setLayout(new GridBagLayout);

..is definitely rubbish. My compiler here reports..
'(' or '[' expected
..indicating a particular point on that line.
That might not be exactly what YourEclipse
is 'telling you', but it sure does not say
'no specific error message'.

That is either not the code being used, in
which case you are wasting our time, or
your eclipse is very broken.

Try posting an SSCCE, and/or exact messages..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.html>

Please read that link carefully before posting
your 'entire broken code' - because I am sure
*not* asking for that - just a tiny example.