    name and the URL mapping.

    Can someone tell me how these 3 are related?

    Thanks,
    MattC, Feb 7, 2007

  2. On Feb 7, 11:27 am, "MattC" <> wrote:
    > I am working in an Oracle app server environment and am a little
    > unclear on the relationship between the context-root, the application
    > name and the URL mapping.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how these 3 are related?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Not sure about Oracle App Server to be specific, but I believe that
    under the hood it follows the Standard Servlet Spec.

    For a URL like http://localhost:8080/myApp/somePage.do

    Protocol = http
    Server/Host = localhost
    Server Port = 8080
    Context Name/Root = /myApp (It *must* start with a / followed by a
    string).
    Application Name = Arbritrary, set in web.xml. It shows up in the
    admin console of the app server.
    URL Mapping = Where does a URL matching *.do ends up. This is
    specified in web.xml against the URL pattern, and a servlet to handle
    that pattern.

    Hope this helps!

    -cheers,
    Manish