context-root, Application Name, URL Mapping

MattC

I am working in an Oracle app server environment and am a little
unclear on the relationship between the context-root, the application
name and the URL mapping.

Can someone tell me how these 3 are related?

Thanks,

Manish Pandit

I am working in an Oracle app server environment and am a little
unclear on the relationship between the context-root, the application
name and the URL mapping.

Can someone tell me how these 3 are related?

Thanks,

Not sure about Oracle App Server to be specific, but I believe that
under the hood it follows the Standard Servlet Spec.

For a URL like http://localhost:8080/myApp/somePage.do

Protocol = http
Server/Host = localhost
Server Port = 8080
Context Name/Root = /myApp (It *must* start with a / followed by a
string).
Application Name = Arbritrary, set in web.xml. It shows up in the
admin console of the app server.
URL Mapping = Where does a URL matching *.do ends up. This is
specified in web.xml against the URL pattern, and a servlet to handle
that pattern.

Hope this helps!

-cheers,
Manish