    Sites like Microsoft use the technique throughout their site. I hope
    to find the code and an explanation on its usage. Let me know if you
    have any sources. Thanks!

    Robert Neville, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Robert Neville wrote:

    > I am looking for JavaScript examples on expanding contextual
    > definition. For example, you have a word like POP3 and the user click
    > on the word expanding it with the following contextual definition.
    >
    > POP3 (POP3: A common protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages
    > from an Internet e-mail server.)
    >
    > Sites like Microsoft use the technique throughout their site. I hope
    > to find the code and an explanation on its usage. Let me know if you
    > have any sources.

    Use the proper markup (<acronym title="Post Office Protocol 3: a common
    protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages
    from an Internet e-mail server">POP3</acronym> and then you are able to
    write some lines of script that insert the value of the title attribute
    when the element is clicked:
    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/32124

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Thanks Martin for your reply.

    Your suggestions led me in the right direction. But the method did not
    accomplish the desired result. The Contextual definition should be
    clickable; thus it should expand and retract. Using the example on
    your link suggestion, the results were not predictable; in Mozilla it
    expanded the contextual definition, yet did not retract it; in IE
    6.0.2, it did not even expand. Maybe, I overlooked something in the
    code.

    My JavaScript knowledge is elementary. My inquiry serves my own
    purpose in converting my troubleshooting notes to html. So I could
    view it on any platform. I am not a developer who has the coding
    knowledge to reverse engineer the code. Please let me know if you
    could give explicit suggestions. Thanks again.

    Robert Neville, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Robert Neville wrote:

    > Your suggestions led me in the right direction. But the method did not
    > accomplish the desired result. The Contextual definition should be
    > clickable; thus it should expand and retract. Using the example on
    > your link suggestion, the results were not predictable; in Mozilla it
    > expanded the contextual definition, yet did not retract it; in IE
    > 6.0.2, it did not even expand. Maybe, I overlooked something in the
    > code.

    Your original post only asked about expansion so I wrote an example
    doing that, I have updated the FAQTS entry
    (http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/32124) to allow
    collapsing the explanation if the <abbr> or <acronym> element is clicked
    again. As for IE the FAQTS entry clearly states that IE doesn't support
    the <abbr> element so that with IE it is not possible to expand content
    marked up with that tag (as there is no <abbr> element in the DOM tree
    then on which events are fired).

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/