contextual definition

Robert Neville

I am looking for JavaScript examples on expanding contextual
definition. For example, you have a word like POP3 and the user click
on the word expanding it with the following contextual definition.

POP3 (POP3: A common protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages
from an Internet e-mail server.)

Sites like Microsoft use the technique throughout their site. I hope
to find the code and an explanation on its usage. Let me know if you
have any sources. Thanks!

Martin Honnen

Robert said:
I am looking for JavaScript examples on expanding contextual
definition. For example, you have a word like POP3 and the user click
on the word expanding it with the following contextual definition.

POP3 (POP3: A common protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages
from an Internet e-mail server.)

Sites like Microsoft use the technique throughout their site. I hope
to find the code and an explanation on its usage. Let me know if you
have any sources.

Use the proper markup (<acronym title="Post Office Protocol 3: a common
protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages
from an Internet e-mail server">POP3</acronym> and then you are able to
write some lines of script that insert the value of the title attribute
when the element is clicked:
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/32124

Robert Neville

Thanks Martin for your reply.

Your suggestions led me in the right direction. But the method did not
accomplish the desired result. The Contextual definition should be
clickable; thus it should expand and retract. Using the example on
your link suggestion, the results were not predictable; in Mozilla it
expanded the contextual definition, yet did not retract it; in IE
6.0.2, it did not even expand. Maybe, I overlooked something in the
code.

My JavaScript knowledge is elementary. My inquiry serves my own
purpose in converting my troubleshooting notes to html. So I could
view it on any platform. I am not a developer who has the coding
knowledge to reverse engineer the code. Please let me know if you
could give explicit suggestions. Thanks again.

Martin Honnen

Robert said:
Your suggestions led me in the right direction. But the method did not
accomplish the desired result. The Contextual definition should be
clickable; thus it should expand and retract. Using the example on
your link suggestion, the results were not predictable; in Mozilla it
expanded the contextual definition, yet did not retract it; in IE
6.0.2, it did not even expand. Maybe, I overlooked something in the
code.

Your original post only asked about expansion so I wrote an example
doing that, I have updated the FAQTS entry
(http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/32124) to allow
collapsing the explanation if the <abbr> or <acronym> element is clicked
again. As for IE the FAQTS entry clearly states that IE doesn't support
the <abbr> element so that with IE it is not possible to expand content
marked up with that tag (as there is no <abbr> element in the DOM tree
then on which events are fired).