Contiguous storage of ints?

jmcgill

Saw this used as an example. Compiles without warnings. "Works."
Kosher or not?
Why or why not?

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv){
int i,j,k,l,m;
int *p;
i=2; j=4; k=8; l=32; m=64; /*any values*/
p = &i;
*p = *p+1;
*(p+1) = *(p+1) +1;
*(p+2) = *(p+2) -1;
printf("{i,j,k,l,m}={%d,%d,%d,%d,%d}\n", i,j,k,l,m);
return 0;

Richard Tobin

jmcgill said:
Kosher or not?
Why or why not?

int i,j,k,l,m;
int *p;
i=2; j=4; k=8; l=32; m=64; /*any values*/
p = &i;
*p = *p+1;
*(p+1) = *(p+1) +1;
*(p+2) = *(p+2) -1;

No, of course not.

It's not even a "works on all common platforms" case - I get
this when I run it on the machine I'm using:

-bash-2.05b$ ./foo
{i,j,k,l,m}={3,4,8,32,64}
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)

-- Richard

Keith Thompson

jmcgill said:
Saw this used as an example. Compiles without warnings. "Works."
Kosher or not?
Why or why not?

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv){
int i,j,k,l,m;
int *p;
i=2; j=4; k=8; l=32; m=64; /*any values*/
p = &i;
*p = *p+1;
*(p+1) = *(p+1) +1;
*(p+2) = *(p+2) -1;
printf("{i,j,k,l,m}={%d,%d,%d,%d,%d}\n", i,j,k,l,m);
return 0;
}

This invokes undefined behavior. If it happens to work, it's only by
accident.

p points to an int object, i. p+1 points just past that object, which
is ok (a single object is treated in this context as an array of one
element, and you can legally point just past the last element of an
array). Dereferencing p+1 invokes undefined behavior, since it
doesn't point to any object. Likewise for p+2.

Note that two pointers are *allowed* to compare equal if one points
just past the end of an object, another points to an object, and the
two objects happen to be allocated adjacently in memory. This is not
a license to *assume* that objects declared next to each other in
source will be allocated adjacently in memory.

You ask why it's not "kosher". A better question is, why do you
assume that it is? An implementation could allocate i, j, k, l, and m
with gaps between them, and fill each gap with a moat full of angry
crocodiles. Or, more realistically, it might allocate them in reverse
or arbitrary order. Or a debugging implementation might create gaps
that you can't access without causing a trap, to catch just the kind
of error you're making here. If you can find a clause in the standard
that forbids any of these, you might have an argument that the
behavior of your program is defined.

If you adjacent objects of the same type, declare an array. (I'm
guessing, though, that your goal was to learn about the code you
posted, not to achieve some particular programming goal.)

attn.steven.kuo

Saw this used as an example. Compiles without warnings. "Works."

The program segfaults when I compiled and ran it.
Kosher or not?
Why or why not?

It's not "kosher" because the C standard
does not guarantee that successively
declared variables occupy a contiguous
region of addressable memory.
#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv){
int i,j,k,l,m;
int *p;
i=2; j=4; k=8; l=32; m=64; /*any values*/
p = &i;
*p = *p+1;

Okay so far.
*(p+1) = *(p+1) +1;

p+1 is not guaranteed to be the address of j.
*(p+2) = *(p+2) -1;

and so on...
printf("{i,j,k,l,m}={%d,%d,%d,%d,%d}\n", i,j,k,l,m);
return 0;

}

This can work if you use an array of int:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main (void)
{
int contiguous[] = { 2, 4, 8, 32, 64 };
int *p;
p = contiguous;
*p = *p+1;
*(p+1) = *(p+1) + 1;
*(p+2) = *(p+2) - 1;
printf("{i,j,k,l,m}={%d,%d,%d,%d,%d}\n",
contiguous[0],
contiguous[1],
contiguous[2],
contiguous[3],
contiguous[4]
);
return EXIT_SUCCESS;

jmcgill

Keith said:
You ask why it's not "kosher". A better question is, why do you
assume that it is?

CS professor with a zillion years of experience presented it with a
straight face as an example.

I *know* it's undefined behavior, I pointed this out, and I found myself
on the right side in an uncomfortable argument.

jmcgill

The program segfaults when I compiled and ran it.

It's not "kosher" because the C standard
does not guarantee that successively
declared variables occupy a contiguous
region of addressable memory.

I didn't think so either, but I made the mistake of not keeping my mouth
shut when it was presented as an example to an intro course, where the
example is abusing the ints as if they were an array, because the people
in this course have not yet been exposed to arrays.

I personally know C in far more depth than this intro course, but I was
concerned that people might learn a bad habit from this example. It
happens to work on certain platforms, and in the absence of a concrete
counterexample (like a line in K&R that says "if you do this you should
be shot"), I don't really want to argue against the idea.

I wish I had a machine that would make this segfault. I *know* it can't
be right in the general case. The compiler is free to use registers for
the vars that have not explicitly had their addresses assigned by an
address-of operator, at the very least, correct?

Ian Collins

jmcgill said:
I wish I had a machine that would make this segfault. I *know* it can't
be right in the general case. The compiler is free to use registers for
the vars that have not explicitly had their addresses assigned by an
address-of operator, at the very least, correct?
As it happens on my Solaris X86 box:
gcc -Wall -pedantic -ansi /tmp/x.c
a.out
{i,j,k,l,m}={3,4,8,32,64}
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Sun's cc optimises the code thus:

main:
subl $4,%esp ;/ line : 10
push $64 ;/ line : 10
push $32 ;/ line : 10
push $8 ;/ line : 10
push $4 ;/ line : 10
push $3 ;/ line : 10
push $.L97 ;/ line : 10
call printf ;/ line : 10
addl $28,%esp ;/ line : 10
xorl %eax,%eax ;/ line : 11
ret ;/ line : 11

Which I'd expect most compilers to do. So the perverse use of pointers
is disguised by optimisation.

Cong Wang

jmcgill said:
I didn't think so either, but I made the mistake of not keeping my mouth
shut when it was presented as an example to an intro course, where the
example is abusing the ints as if they were an array, because the people
in this course have not yet been exposed to arrays.

Yes, your teacher is wrong.
I personally know C in far more depth than this intro course, but I was
concerned that people might learn a bad habit from this example. It
happens to work on certain platforms, and in the absence of a concrete
counterexample (like a line in K&R that says "if you do this you should
be shot"), I don't really want to argue against the idea.

I wish I had a machine that would make this segfault. I *know* it can't
be right in the general case. The compiler is free to use registers for
the vars that have not explicitly had their addresses assigned by an
address-of operator, at the very least, correct?

Not so free. In fact, the clever compilers will arrange the most
frequently used vars in registers and make other in the memory, if they
desire speed.

Richard Heathfield

jmcgill said:
Saw this used as an example. Compiles without warnings. "Works."
Kosher or not?
Why or why not?

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv){
int i,j,k,l,m;
int *p;
i=2; j=4; k=8; l=32; m=64; /*any values*/
p = &i;
*p = *p+1;
*(p+1) = *(p+1) +1;
*(p+2) = *(p+2) -1;
printf("{i,j,k,l,m}={%d,%d,%d,%d,%d}\n", i,j,k,l,m);
return 0;
}

I sympathise with your motivation for asking, and of course it's obvious
that it isn't kosher. It isn't even halal. Here's the output on my system:

{i,j,k,l,m}={3,4,8,32,64}
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Let's now investigate why the program is incorrect.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv){

argc and argv are not used, but apart from that we're looking good so far.

int i,j,k,l,m;
int *p;

Well, okay.

i=2; j=4; k=8; l=32; m=64; /*any values*/

Still legal.

p = &i;

p points to i. So *p has the value 2.

*p = *p+1;

*p (i.e. i) now has the value 3.

*(p+1) = *(p+1) +1;

It is legal to form the pointer p + 1, since i can be considered "as if" it
were an array of one int, and it is legal to point one past the end of an
array. It is not, however, legal to dereference that pointer, which this
code does. Chapter and verse is in:

3.3.6 Additive operators:

[...] When an expression that has integral type is added to or subtracted
from a pointer, the integral value is first multiplied by the size of the
object pointed to. The result has the type of the pointer operand. If the
pointer operand points to a member of an array object, and the array object
is large enough, the result points to a member of the same array object,
appropriately offset from the original member. Thus if P points to a
member of an array object, the expression P+1 points to the next member of
the array object. Unless both the pointer operand and the result point to
a member of the same array object, or one past the last member of the array
object, the behavior is undefined.

So whoever wrote the program needs to learn C before they try teaching it.

Frederick Gotham

jmcgill posted:
int i,j,k,l,m;

int arr[5];