Continuous integration for Python projects

Hussein B

Hi.
Please correct my if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the major
continuous integration servers (Hudson, CruiseControl, TeamCity ..)
don't support Python based application.
It seems they mainly support Java, .NET and Ruby.
Can I use one of the previous listed servers for Python project?
Thanks.

Diez B. Roggisch

Hussein said:
Hi.
Please correct my if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the major
continuous integration servers (Hudson, CruiseControl, TeamCity ..)
don't support Python based application.
It seems they mainly support Java, .NET and Ruby.
Can I use one of the previous listed servers for Python project?

Hudson can, and AFAIK CC as well - they only invoke shell-scripts (at least
hudson does, and CC you can convince doing that using ANT)

So go ahead and use them - shouldn't be much (more) effort than for java
projects.

Diez

Sion Arrowsmith

Diez B. Roggisch said:
Hudson can, and AFAIK CC as well - they only invoke shell-scripts (at least
hudson does, and CC you can convince doing that using ANT)

You can definitely set up CruiseControl to handle Python, but don't
ask me for details as it was a couple of years and a change of job
ago. I seem to remember it being easier when CC was driving make,
but we had makefiles in any case for building the extension modules
needed -- writing a makefile from scratch might be a bit much.

BlueBird

Hudson can, and AFAIK CC as well - they only invoke shell-scripts (at least
hudson does, and CC you can convince doing that using ANT)

I have CC almost running here with python tests and there is no
technical problem in front. You must package your test scripts so that
they exit with something different than 0 in case of failure, and then
just use the Exec runner of CC to run them.

Alan Franzoni

Hussein B was kind enough to say:
Hi.
Please correct my if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the major
continuous integration servers (Hudson, CruiseControl, TeamCity ..)
don't support Python based application.

If you want, you can use ant as a build script, and then define the usual
targets (build, dist, test), ecc. and then use xmlrunner to publish them in
a junit-like format which can be read through cruisecontrol or other CI
tools.

--
Alan Franzoni <[email protected]>
-

Leonid Shalupov

Hello,

Hussein said:
Please correct my if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the major
continuous integration servers (Hudson, CruiseControl, TeamCity ..)
don't support Python based application.
It seems they mainly support Java, .NET and Ruby.
Can I use one of the previous listed servers for Python project?
You can use TeamCity.

Build and test your project with command-line runner and
make sure you've installed modules for reporting
tests to TeamCity.

http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/TW/Python+Unit+Test+Reporting