Contionnal sum

Fernando Perez

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a conditionnal sum.

For instance I would like to do something like this:

@total_amount = @orders.sum { |order| order.amount if order.paid == true

Phillip Gawlowski

Xavier Noria

I am wondering if it is possible to create a conditionnal sum.

For instance I would like to do something like this:

@total_amount = @orders.sum { |order| order.amount if order.paid == true
}

sum... is that Rails? If that's the case you could filter them before:

# untested
@total_sum = @orders.select(&:paid).sum(&:amount)

Although AR has another SQL-based #sum that may be worth exploring if
@orders are ARs.

That being said, perhaps you weren't aware of the fact that
Enumerable#sum is defined by Active Support, but let me point out that
those extensions are discussed in the very Rails mailing list.

-- fxn

Ken Bloom

Xavier Noria said:
sum... is that Rails? If that's the case you could filter them before:

# untested
@total_sum = @orders.select(&:paid).sum(&:amount)

Although AR has another SQL-based #sum that may be worth exploring if
@orders are ARs.

That being said, perhaps you weren't aware of the fact that
Enumerable#sum is defined by Active Support, but let me point out that
those extensions are discussed in the very Rails mailing list.

Enumerable#sum is also in facets.
The .select method is a good way, but you can use less memory by doing

@orders.sum {|order| order.paid? order.amount : 0 }

Facets' #sum doesn't skip nils, so the method you proposed won't work.

--Ken

Simon Krahnke

* Fernando Perez said:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a conditionnal sum.

For instance I would like to do something like this:

@total_amount = @orders.sum { |order| order.amount if order.paid == true
}

@total_amount = @orders.inject(0) do | sum, order |
order.paid ? sum + order.amount : sum
end

or

@total_amount = @orders.select { | o | o.paid }. sum

BTW: Comparing a boolean value to true or false only shows you don't
understand booleans.

And if that order class is yours: I'd rather call the accessor »paid?«.

mfg, simon .... l

Fernando Perez

Thank you all for your messages. Yes it is a piece of code I am using in
a Rails app. I thought it would fit better in this list rather than the
Rails one, as the problem is not specific to Rails.
BTW: Comparing a boolean value to true or false only shows you don't
understand booleans.

Yeah I knew someone would nail me on this. I wanted to make my problem
clear, so that's why I specified this silly "== true". In my real code,
I don't have it trust me. If I hadn't put it, someone would have come up
with "hey wtf is that order.paid thing!?"

The .select method is a good way, but you can use less memory by doing

@orders.sum {|order| order.paid? order.amount : 0 }

This is fantastic, I knew the solution was super simple. Day after day I
love Ruby more and more.

Best regards, and once again thank you very much for assisting me.