Contol Location on Webform

Jeff Gaines

I am making the jump into Webforms/asp from Windows forms.

To ease the transition I am setting up an address book so I can use
code from the previous Windows forms app.

I have a really simple (stupid?) question.

I have added a panel to the webform and then added labels/text boxes to
the panel but I can't locate them where I want them - if I try and move
them they slide to the side of the panel.

Is there a simple setting I am missing? I see controls have a Height
and Width property but no Top or Left property, does that mean I can't
decide where controls go?

Sylvain Lafontaine

Set the pageLayout property of the control to GridLayout instead of
FlowLayout. Won't hurt that you choose the targetSchema for the page to be
Internet Explorer 5.0 instead of IE 3.02/Netscape 3.0.

S. L.

Jeff Gaines

Set the pageLayout property of the control to GridLayout instead of
FlowLayout. Won't hurt that you choose the targetSchema for the page
to be Internet Explorer 5.0 instead of IE 3.02/Netscape 3.0.

S. L.

Thanks Sylvain, I thought I was going mad!

Kevin Spencer

Well, Jeff, don't start celebrating too soon.

You have to understand the vast differences between an executable app that
resides in its own nice little memory sandbox on a single machine, and an
ASP.Net web application, which is a client-server app that is distributed
across a TCP/IP network, primarily using HTTP as the transport. HTTP is
stateless. You will have to learn how to work with memory that must be
re-instantiated with each Page request. And in terms of layout, you will
face your greatest challenges.

The problem is browsers. Different browsers support different things
differently, and layout is always a hassle. Using Grid layout means that
you're using in-line CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to position and lay out
your HTML objects (your Controls). CSS is going to behave differently in
different browsers. Not using CSS means that you're most likely to use HTML
tables for positioning. That is also problematic.

In a desktop app, the app itself draws everything, and you can count on it
behaving just as you programmed it. In a web app, the browser interprets the
HTML, and you cannot count on much of anything.

I would suggest reading everything you can about HTML.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Jeff Gaines

Well, Jeff, don't start celebrating too soon.
[snipped]

I would suggest reading everything you can about HTML.

Sometimes I get very tempted to try and find a used Vic 20 and go back
to 6502 assembler.

Anyway, it will keep me out of mischief while I'm learning :)