Control deployment question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Griff, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Hi - complete newbie question, so please bear with me...

    With classic ASP, I could have a folder containing "common code" that was
    accessed by ALL the different websites on my server. As the "common code"
    was improved, I would create a new folder for each upgrade (v1.0, v2.0, v3.0
    etc) and simply change the virtual directory mapping in each web site as I
    wanted to upgrade the sites.

    With ASP.NET 2.0, I envisage writing a set of compiled n-tier components.
    Again, I'd want these to be common to all the web sites on my server and
    again, I'd like to be able to follow a similar upgrade path. Is it possible
    to follow the Classic ASP example by creating a new folder and simply
    changing the virtual directory over, or is this something that is controlled
    by the web.config file? What's the most sensible way of achieving this?

    Thanks in advance.

    Griff

    PS - obviously the interfaces would have to remain constant so as to not
    have to change the actual web sites themselves...
    Griff, Oct 9, 2006