control designer woes

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Paul, May 11, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm desperately trying to build a tab control for our internal
    corporate web sites.

    I have it up and running fine in run-time mode. The problem I'm
    encountering is trying to build a designer that would render some
    semblance of the tab control's state at any given point.

    The tab control (Called a TabStrip) is basically a container which
    allows for 2 types of children:
    TabStripButtons and TabPanels.

    The TabStripButtons are essentially the tabs themselves, and the
    panels are the tabpages. TabStripButtons can share TabPanels e.g. two
    or more tab buttons could point to the same panel.

    The TabStrip derives from Control, as does the TabStripButton. The
    TabPanel is essentially just an ASP.NET Panel control.

    The question is: If the Designer for the tabstrip control is derived
    from ControlDesigner (which is read-only), how can I retain the
    ReadWriteControlDesigner functionality for any child TabPanels added
    into the TabPanel? (It currently doesn't work)

    Basically, has anyone managed to combine a ReadWriteControlDesigner
    with some kind of non-editable control content? I.E a Panel control
    with a header and Footer section?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Paul