    will run if the control is invisible, but Render still runs. Am i correct
    and why does render run if the others dont?

    thanks for your input~!

    TS, Sep 29, 2008

  2. Hi,

    Based on my test, none of them will run if the control is invisible. Here's
    my test code:
    public partial class WebForm1 : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
    protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) {
    MyControl p = new MyControl();
    this.form1.Controls.Add(p);
    p.Controls.Add(new TextBox());
    p.Visible = false;

    public class MyControl : Panel
    base.CreateChildControls();
    base.OnPreRender(e);
    base.Render(writer);

    Could you double check it? If the Render runs on your side please send me a
    demo project that can reproduce this problem. My email is
    .

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.
    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Sep 30, 2008

  3. TS

    TS Guest

    I see the problem. After pre-render, the control was made visible, so during
    createChildControls & onPreRender the control was invisible but when Render
    came it was visible so render ran.

    that seems a little weird behavior, seems like all or none should run.

    TS, Sep 30, 2008
  4. Hi,

    I think it's reasonable. If we set visibility on certain stage before the
    Render the Render may run/not run. Here's the source code of the
    Control.RenderControl method and the RenderControlInternal method. Let's
    see what happens there:

    protected void RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
    {
    if (!this.flags[0x10] && !this.flags[0x200])
    {
    HttpContext context = (this.Page == null) ? null :
    this.Page._context;
    if ((context != null) && context.TraceIsEnabled)
    {
    int bufferedLength = context.Response.GetBufferedLength();
    this.RenderControlInternal(writer, adapter);
    int num2 = context.Response.GetBufferedLength();
    context.Trace.AddControlSize(this.UniqueID, num2 -
    bufferedLength);
    }
    else
    {
    this.RenderControlInternal(writer, adapter);

    private void RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter
    adapter)
    {
    if (adapter != null)
    {
    adapter.BeginRender(writer);
    adapter.Render(writer);
    adapter.EndRender(writer);
    }
    else
    {
    this.Render(writer);

    We can see if control's flags[0x10] is true the Render method will not run.
    The flags[0x10] represents the visibility of the control. To confirm this
    please try following code:

    Panel p = new Panel();

    p.PreRender += new EventHandler(p_PreRender);
    p.Visible = false;//comment this line to test
    this.form1.Controls.Add(p);
    }
    protected override void OnSaveStateComplete(EventArgs e)
    {
    base.OnSaveStateComplete(e);
    //set a breakpoint here and check p.flags[0x10] in the watch window.
    }
    void p_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)

    Please feel free to ask if you have anything unclear.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    --------------------
    | From: "TS" <>
    | Subject: Re: Control life cycle events not firing when control is
    invisible
    | Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:23:32 -0500
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    |
    | I see the problem. After pre-render, the control was made visible, so
    during
    | createChildControls & onPreRender the control was invisible but when
    Render
    | came it was visible so render ran.
    |
    | that seems a little weird behavior, seems like all or none should run.
    |

    | "Allen Chen [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > Based on my test, none of them will run if the control is invisible.
    | > Here's
    | > my test code:
    | > public partial class WebForm1 : System.Web.UI.Page
    | > {
    | > protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) {
    | > MyControl p = new MyControl();
    | > this.form1.Controls.Add(p);
    | > p.Controls.Add(new TextBox());
    | > p.Visible = false;
    | >
    | > }
    | > }
    | > public class MyControl : Panel
    | > {
    | > protected override void CreateChildControls()
    | > {
    | > base.CreateChildControls();
    | > }
    | > protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
    | > {
    | > base.OnPreRender(e);
    | > }
    | > protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    | > {
    | > base.Render(writer);
    | > }
    | > }
    | >
    | > Could you double check it? If the Render runs on your side please send
    me
    | > demo project that can reproduce this problem. My email is
    | > .
    | >

    | > Regards,
    | > Allen Chen
    | > Microsoft Online Support
    | >
    | > Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
    and
    | > suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
    Please
    | > feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
    | > provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
    | > .

    | > Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
    issues
    | > where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
    | > Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each
    follow
    | > up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
    | > professional working with you may need further investigation to reach
    the
    | > most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for
    situations
    | > that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
    | > project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are
    best
    | > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
    contacting
    | > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.
    | > ==================================================
    | > rights.
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "TS" <>
    | > | Subject: Control life cycle events not firing when control is
    invisible
    | > | Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:10:15 -0500
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    | > |
    | > | thru my testing it seems that neither createChildControls nor
    | > onPreRender
    | > | will run if the control is invisible, but Render still runs. Am i
    | > correct
    | > | and why does render run if the others dont?
    | > |
    | > | thanks for your input~!
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 2, 2008
  5. Hi,

    Have you got the expected answer?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support
    --------------------
> [...]
    | > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
    contacting
    | > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.
    | > ==================================================
    | > rights.
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "TS" <>
    | > | Subject: Control life cycle events not firing when control is
    invisible
    | > | Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:10:15 -0500
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    | > |
    | > | thru my testing it seems that neither createChildControls nor
    | > onPreRender
    | > | will run if the control is invisible, but Render still runs. Am i
    | > correct
    | > | and why does render run if the others dont?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 9, 2008