    ThunderMusic

    btw... I'd be interested in having some links to where I can find databases
    on worldwide postal/zip...
    ThunderMusic, Sep 17, 2006

  2. I can't tell you how to map, as I have not gotten that far. I can give you
    some info that may help. For mapping in .NET, there is a C# mapping project
    (open source) called SharpMap:
    http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=SharpMap

    For the United States, mapping is generally done off of TIGR data, which is
    downloadable from the Census site (census.gov). It is a pain to download, to
    an extent, because there is no all in one download. It is GBs of data.
    Download a sample and go from there.

    There is also an open consortium of GIS mapping.

    Zip code data is for sale. While you can put together United States and
    Canadian zip codes by searching sites, it takes quite a long time to do and
    is only useful if your time is not worth anything. At work, we currently
    purchase US & Canada from Zipcodedownload.com. It is decent data and has a
    good price for a yearly subscription. This is NOT mapping data, however.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 17, 2006

  3. TRY AGAIN
    I can't tell you how to map, as I have not gotten that far. I can give you
    some info that may help. For mapping in .NET, there is a C# mapping project
    (open source) called SharpMap:
    http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=SharpMap

    THere is also GehtSoft GIS (open source)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsgeotools

    For the United States, mapping is generally done off of TIGR data, which is
    downloadable from the Census site (census.gov). It is a pain to download, to
    an extent, because there is no all in one download. It is GBs of data.
    Download a sample and go from there.
    http://arcdata.esri.com/data/tiger2000/tiger_download.cfm

    There is also an open consortium of GIS mapping that has some good info.
    https://www.osgeo.org/

    Zip code data is for sale. While you can put together United States and
    Canadian zip codes by searching sites, it takes quite a long time to do and
    is only useful if your time is not worth anything. At work, we currently
    purchase US & Canada from Zipcodedownload.com. It is decent data and has a
    good price for a yearly subscription. This is NOT mapping data, however.

    Newer maps than the Census cost lots of money. There are basically two
    companies that have data: NavTeq and TeleAtlas. Both price according to the
    type of application and tend to request monthly revenue streams for the
    data. It is worth it if you need accuracy on roads, etc., but not for a
    simple "find the zipcode" type app (TIGR should be fine for this).

    Hope this helps!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 17, 2006
  4. ThunderMusic

    clintonG Guest

    In .NET you would build a Composite Control. Being pragmatic however I must
    note Cowboy's comments lead to the long and difficult task of doing it all
    yourself -- a rabbit hole of complexity and cost -- so it seems to me the
    easier choice is a design-build business model also called a mashup.

    That would mean using APIs provided by Google Earth and/or Microsoft Earth
    or Microsoft MapPoint or a similar service your control(s) interoperate
    with.

    Think of it this way. As an architect whose business process is
    "design-build" I would rent the heavy equipment and an operator to dig my
    holes, pour my concrete and so on. Google, Microsoft and others are now
    makig it possible to use or rent their heavy equipment to enable us to
    operate design-build businesses on the web. Your only other choice is to
    follow the rabbit hole.

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, Sep 17, 2006
  5. Point well taken. It really depends on what the user is doing, however, as
    Google Earth, etc. are not free for commercial use.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 18, 2006
  6. ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic Guest

    hi,
    What I want to do with this is just something more graphical to work with
    for people to point out the distance range from one point to determine to
    which people their project will be presented to (it will be presented to
    people within this distance range), But right now, I can do fine with a
    country or a state/province/region or a city reference... But I was just
    planning for future features (dream list)...

    thanks a lot

    ThunderMusic

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> a écrit
    dans le message de news: ...