Control refresh design time

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by pedrobernabeu@hotmail.com, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a custom control with a ListItemCollection. If I add items by
    hand in the aspx and switch to design time view, everything works fine.

    However if I add items through the Collection Editor, the control
    doesn't update until I change something in the aspx and change to
    design view. I can't understand why because if you try to update a
    DropDownList with the
    collection editor, the control updates as soon as you change something
    in the Collection Editor.

    Anybody what I need to add to this code to make the control to update
    when changing something with the collection editor?

    using System;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.ComponentModel.Design;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

    namespace MyComponents
    {
    [Serializable]
    [ParseChildren(true, "Items")]
    public class TestControl : WebControl, INamingContainer
    {
    private ListItemCollection _items;

    [DefaultValue(null),
    PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerDefaultProperty)]
    public ListItemCollection Items {
    get { return _items; }
    }

    public override ControlCollection Controls {
    get {
    EnsureChildControls();
    return base.Controls;

    public TestControl() : base(HtmlTextWriterTag.Div)
    {
    _items = new ListItemCollection();

    Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("-- TestControl
    --<br>"));
    for (int i = 0; i < _items.Count; i++){
    LiteralControl l = new
    LiteralControl(_items.Text + "<br>");
    Controls.Add(l);

    protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter
    writer)
    {
    foreach(Control ctrl in Controls){
    ctrl.RenderControl(writer);