    Bruce W...1 Guest

    How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

    Thanks for your help.
    Bruce W...1, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Bruce W...1 <> wrote:
    > How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

    One shouldn't do that because one would be changing the settings of the
    user's browser (plus it would only work on IE).
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com
    Michael Wilcox, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Bruce W...1

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Bruce W...1" <> writes:
    > How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

    Assuming windows and IE:
    Right-click on desktop, select display properties, appearance tab -
    poke around a bit depending on version of windows - change the
    scrollbar colour. Probably affects a few other windows browsers too.

    Netscape and/or Mozilla:
    Edit-Preferences-Appearance-Themes

    Other browsers, consult the manual.

    --
    Chris
    Chris Morris, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Bruce W...1

    Skinny Guest

    To change the scollbars on IE5.5 and above only

    For your style.css

    body {scrollbar-3dlightlcolor:#ffffff; scrollbar-arrow-color:#333366;
    scrollbar-base-color:#ffff66;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color::#ffffff; scrollbar-dark-shadow-color:#6600cc;
    scrollbar-highlight-color::#ffffff;
    scrollbar-shadow-color::#ffff00}

    Change hexadecimal code to match your desired colours

    Skinny

    Skinny, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Bruce W...1

    the idiot Guest

    "Bruce W...1" <> wrote in message
    > How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    if you mean for your web site it is i think
    BODY {
    SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #000000;
    SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
    SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #ffffcc;
    SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #330099;
    SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #ffffff;
    SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #ffffc4;
    SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #ffcccc
    }

    but it is wrong to do so.
    the idiot, Oct 25, 2003
  6. "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce W...1 <> wrote:
    > > How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

    > One shouldn't do that because one would be changing the settings of the
    > user's browser (plus it would only work on IE).

    While I like the way you explain the reason not to use it, (and it's a
    perfectly good reason) don't bother posting if you don't actually intend to
    answer the question. I will do this for your convenience.

    body {
    scrollbar-arrow-color : #FFFFFF;
    scrollbar-face-color : #3399FF;
    scrollbar-track-color: #FFFFFF;
    scrollbar-base-color : #99CCFF;
    scrollbar-highlight-color : #3399FF;
    scrollbar-shadow-color : #3399FF;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color : #99CCFF;
    }

    This will not validate. This will only work in MSIE. But it won't break your
    site.
    Woolly Mittens, Oct 25, 2003
  7. Woolly Mittens wrote:
    > Don't bother posting if you don't actually intend to
    > answer the question.

    The help desk is over there. Have your credit card ready.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 25, 2003
  8. Bruce W...1

    Marc Nadeau Guest

    Woolly Mittens a écrit:

    > "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    >> Bruce W...1 <> wrote:
    >> > How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

    >> One shouldn't do that because one would be changing the settings of the
    >> user's browser (plus it would only work on IE).

    > While I like the way you explain the reason not to use it, (and it's a
    > perfectly good reason) don't bother posting if you don't actually intend
    > to answer the question. I will do this for your convenience.
    >
    > body {
    > scrollbar-arrow-color : #FFFFFF;
    > scrollbar-face-color : #3399FF;
    > scrollbar-track-color: #FFFFFF;
    > scrollbar-base-color : #99CCFF;
    > scrollbar-highlight-color : #3399FF;
    > scrollbar-shadow-color : #3399FF;
    > scrollbar-darkshadow-color : #99CCFF;
    > }
    >
    > This will not validate. This will only work in MSIE. But it won't break
    > your site.

    It also works in konqueror (a linux browser and file manager).

    --
    Marc Nadeau
    La Pagerie
    Marc Nadeau, Oct 26, 2003
  9. Bruce W...1

    rf Guest

    "Woolly Mittens" <> wrote in message
    > "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > > Bruce W...1 <> wrote:
    > > > How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

    > > One shouldn't do that because one would be changing the settings of the
    > > user's browser (plus it would only work on IE).

    > While I like the way you explain the reason not to use it, (and it's a
    > perfectly good reason) don't bother posting if you don't actually intend

    > answer the question. I will do this for your convenience.

    <snip CSS>

    > This will not validate. This will only work in MSIE.

    Doesn't work in my IE. I have a user style sheet in place to stop such
    annoying stuff.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 26, 2003
  10. Bruce W...1

    C A Upsdell Guest

    C A Upsdell, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Bruce W...1

    Bruce W...1 Guest

    > if you mean for your web site it is i think
    > BODY {
    > SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #000000;
    > SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
    > SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #ffffcc;
    > SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #330099;
    > SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #ffffff;
    > SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #ffffc4;
    > SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #ffcccc
    > }
    >
    > but it is wrong to do so.

    Thanks all. But why is it wrong to do so? What harm is done?
    Bruce W...1, Oct 26, 2003
  12. "Woolly Mittens" <> wrote:

    > body {
    > scrollbar-arrow-color : #FFFFFF;

    - -
    > This will not validate.

    CSS is not an SGML or XML application, so it is pointless and
    misleading to call CSS checking "validation".

    What you probably mean is that it does not comply with CSS
    specifications. And that is correct.

    > This will only work in MSIE.

    Not correct. Poor ideas propagate by imitation.

    > But it won't break your site.

    It mostly does. See e.g. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

    It might occasionally make some sense to set the scroll bar colors for
    something _inside_ a page, e.g. a scrollable table or a textarea.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 26, 2003
  13. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > CSS is not an SGML or XML application, so it is pointless and
    > misleading to call CSS checking "validation".

    The word "valid" existed long before the first computer. Why is validity
    limited to SGML and XML now?
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 27, 2003
  14. Bruce W...1

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Bruce W...1"
    <> writing in news:3F9C23D4.F59DEAD5
    @noDirectEmail.com:

    >> if you mean for your web site it is i think <style>
    >> BODY {
    >> SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #000000;
    >> SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
    >> SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #ffffcc;
    >> SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #330099;
    >> SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #ffffff;
    >> SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #ffffc4;
    >> SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #ffcccc } </style>
    >>
    >> but it is wrong to do so.

    > Thanks all. But why is it wrong to do so? What harm is done?

    Because it can be confusing for visitors, and depending on what colors are
    used, can make the scrollbar difficult to use, eg. if everything is the
    same color.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Oct 27, 2003
  15. Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    >> CSS is not an SGML or XML application, so it is pointless and
    >> misleading to call CSS checking "validation".

    > The word "valid" existed long before the first computer. Why is
    > validity
    > limited to SGML and XML now?

    It is misleading since "validation" existed as a well-defined concept
    that is relevant to HTML, and then people started confusing things.
    If you call all kinds of checking "validation", you miss the point in
    SGML validation and you are virtually guaranteed to get confused when
    you use an SGML validator or a close relative (such as W3C "markup
    validator"). As explained in some detail at
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

    The word "attribute" existed long before the first computer. You would
    still confuse people if you call e.g. CSS properties "attributes"
    (as Microsoft does in IE documentation) - as we can see from common
    confusion of things like the 'align' attribute and 'text-align'
    property. It's just _because of_ certain similarities that the wrong
    terminology confuses people. If you call _completely_ different things
    by the same name, confusion seldom arises.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 27, 2003
  16. Marc Nadeau wrote:

    > It also works in konqueror (a linux browser and file manager).

    And (with a bit of preference tweaking) in Opera.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 27, 2003