Control scrollbar color?

Michael Wilcox

Bruce W...1 said:
How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

One shouldn't do that because one would be changing the settings of the
user's browser (plus it would only work on IE).

Chris Morris

Bruce W...1 said:
How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

Assuming windows and IE:
Right-click on desktop, select display properties, appearance tab -
poke around a bit depending on version of windows - change the
scrollbar colour. Probably affects a few other windows browsers too.

Netscape and/or Mozilla:
Edit-Preferences-Appearance-Themes

Other browsers, consult the manual.

Skinny

To change the scollbars on IE5.5 and above only

For your style.css

body {scrollbar-3dlightlcolor:#ffffff; scrollbar-arrow-color:#333366;
scrollbar-base-color:#ffff66;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color::#ffffff; scrollbar-dark-shadow-color:#6600cc;
scrollbar-highlight-color::#ffffff;
scrollbar-shadow-color::#ffff00}

Change hexadecimal code to match your desired colours

Skinny

the idiot

Bruce W...1 said:
How does one change the color of the browser scrollbar?

Thanks for your help.

if you mean for your web site it is i think
BODY {
SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #000000;
SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #ffffcc;
SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #330099;
SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #ffffff;
SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #ffffc4;
SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #ffcccc
}

but it is wrong to do so.

Woolly Mittens

Michael Wilcox said:
One shouldn't do that because one would be changing the settings of the
user's browser (plus it would only work on IE).

While I like the way you explain the reason not to use it, (and it's a
perfectly good reason) don't bother posting if you don't actually intend to
answer the question. I will do this for your convenience.

body {
scrollbar-arrow-color : #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-face-color : #3399FF;
scrollbar-track-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-base-color : #99CCFF;
scrollbar-highlight-color : #3399FF;
scrollbar-shadow-color : #3399FF;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color : #99CCFF;
}

This will not validate. This will only work in MSIE. But it won't break your
site.

Marc Nadeau

Woolly Mittens a écrit:
While I like the way you explain the reason not to use it, (and it's a
perfectly good reason) don't bother posting if you don't actually intend
to answer the question. I will do this for your convenience.

body {
scrollbar-arrow-color : #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-face-color : #3399FF;
scrollbar-track-color: #FFFFFF;
scrollbar-base-color : #99CCFF;
scrollbar-highlight-color : #3399FF;
scrollbar-shadow-color : #3399FF;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color : #99CCFF;
}

This will not validate. This will only work in MSIE. But it won't break
your site.

It also works in konqueror (a linux browser and file manager).

rf

Woolly Mittens said:
While I like the way you explain the reason not to use it, (and it's a
perfectly good reason) don't bother posting if you don't actually intend to
answer the question. I will do this for your convenience.
This will not validate. This will only work in MSIE.

Doesn't work in my IE. I have a user style sheet in place to stop such
annoying stuff.

Cheers
Richard.

Bruce W...1

if you mean for your web site it is i think
BODY {
SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #000000;
SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #ffffcc;
SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #330099;
SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #ffffff;
SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #ffffc4;
SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #ffcccc
}

but it is wrong to do so.

Thanks all. But why is it wrong to do so? What harm is done?

Jukka K. Korpela

Woolly Mittens said:
body {
scrollbar-arrow-color : #FFFFFF; - -
This will not validate.

CSS is not an SGML or XML application, so it is pointless and
misleading to call CSS checking "validation".

What you probably mean is that it does not comply with CSS
specifications. And that is correct.
This will only work in MSIE.

Not correct. Poor ideas propagate by imitation.
But it won't break your site.

It mostly does. See e.g. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

It might occasionally make some sense to set the scroll bar colors for
something _inside_ a page, e.g. a scrollable table or a textarea.

Leif K-Brooks

Jukka said:
CSS is not an SGML or XML application, so it is pointless and
misleading to call CSS checking "validation".

The word "valid" existed long before the first computer. Why is validity
limited to SGML and XML now?

Adrienne

Thanks all. But why is it wrong to do so? What harm is done?

Because it can be confusing for visitors, and depending on what colors are
used, can make the scrollbar difficult to use, eg. if everything is the
same color.

Jukka K. Korpela

Leif K-Brooks said:
The word "valid" existed long before the first computer. Why is
validity
limited to SGML and XML now?

It is misleading since "validation" existed as a well-defined concept
that is relevant to HTML, and then people started confusing things.
If you call all kinds of checking "validation", you miss the point in
SGML validation and you are virtually guaranteed to get confused when
you use an SGML validator or a close relative (such as W3C "markup
validator"). As explained in some detail at
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

The word "attribute" existed long before the first computer. You would
still confuse people if you call e.g. CSS properties "attributes"
(as Microsoft does in IE documentation) - as we can see from common
confusion of things like the 'align' attribute and 'text-align'
property. It's just _because of_ certain similarities that the wrong
terminology confuses people. If you call _completely_ different things
by the same name, confusion seldom arises.