Control the appearance of a launched application

Discussion in 'C++' started by Lafoopsie, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Lafoopsie

    Lafoopsie Guest

    Hi!

    In my C++ program, I can launch an external program, for example:

    #include <cstdlib>

    int main()
    {
    std::system("appletviewer");
    }

    But is there a way to control the appearance of that application? For
    example, I could say: open this application, let it appear on 300 pixels
    from the left of the screen, 200 pixels from the top of the screen, and
    don't show any borders.

    Is this possible? Maybe with some X functions?

    Your help would be great!

    Greetz,
    Klaas
    Lafoopsie, Oct 13, 2003

  2. On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:52:21 +0200, Lafoopsie wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > In my C++ program, I can launch an external program, for example:
    >
    > #include <cstdlib>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > std::system("appletviewer");
    > }
    >
    > But is there a way to control the appearance of that application? For
    > example, I could say: open this application, let it appear on 300 pixels
    > from the left of the screen, 200 pixels from the top of the screen, and
    > don't show any borders.
    >
    > Is this possible? Maybe with some X functions?

    Maybe. Try asking in a group concerned with your system. Don't most X apps
    take a -geometry command-line parameter?

    Josh
    Josh Sebastian, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Lafoopsie

    Moonlit Guest

    Hi,

    Usually you can give X-Parameters on the command line and/or a
    configuration file. X-Application are supposed to first forward these
    commands to some function that does the processing of them (or of course
    handle it themselves).

    Do

    man -k Xserver

    and/or lookup the documentation for appletviewer on the www.javasoft.com