Control to draw maps on images?

Klaus Jensen

Hi!

I need an ASP.net control, which makes it possible for the user to define
imagemaps.

I show an image, the user can define areas (polygons would be nice, but just
rectangles is ok), and I can access these areas, save them and use them to
generate imagemaps.

It is to be used with maps, where the client can add information to areas of
the map, which is then displayed when the user clicks the area.

Does such a control exist, or has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks in advance.

- Klaus

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Are you talking about this?

Or, are you talking about a client side solution
that you keep track of the mouse movements to
draw the outline of your map?

I was tinkering with some JavaScript to capture
handwritten signatures with a mouse and convert
the mouse movements to VML awhile back.

It is just play code, nothing serious.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/javascriptdrawing.asp

The source code to the asp page can be
found here:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/javascriptdrawing.zip

Guest

Would you consider using an ActiveX control inside the ASP.Net project - with
the ActiveX embedded in the Client side HTML to run on the client. If yes
then I have an easy solution for you.

Our MetaDraw control can be placed in an HTML page where the user is allowed
to draw - optionally on top of other images such as an image of a map.
MetaDraw even has built in support for creating ClientSide image maps from
the drawn polygon shapes - exactly what you describe. You can allow user to
assign URL's to each polygon and even assign a Tooltip for each polygon.
The resulting image map can be captured as a string you can send back to the
server in a simple Post.

An example showing drawing with MetaDraw in a web page can be seen at
www.btis.com/btproducts/MetaDraw/WebSamples/Drawing/md3_demo.htm

This doesn't show drawing on a background image or creating of image maps
but I think you'll get the idea about how easy MetaDraw is to use ( for
programmer or end-user ). Feel free to ViewSource on the web page to see
how it's done.

Note that creation of ImageMaps requires the Subscription license add-on in
addition to base license support.

I'd be happy to discuss with you further

* * Please include a copy of this message with your reply

Jeff Bennett
(e-mail address removed)

* Bennet-Tec Information Systems, Inc
* 50 Jericho Tpk, Jericho, NY 11753
* Phone 516 997 5596, Fax - 5597
* RELIABLE Components Make You Look Sharp!
* TList/Pro * ALLText HT/Pro * MetaDraw *
* Custom Software Development Services Too.
* WWW.Bennet-Tec.Com