Control to upload LARGE files

Bobby Edward

Are there any ASP.NET compatible controls out there that will allow you to
upload large files, up to 2 gb?

Prefer free of course. ;)

Eliyahu Goldin

Out-of-box FileUpload control has no size limit. Limit can be set in
web.config in the httpRuntime element, parameter maxRequestLength. Note,
that allowing 2G can degrade performance and scalability.

Bobby Edward

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Out-of-box FileUpload control has no size limit. Limit can be set in
web.config in the httpRuntime element, parameter maxRequestLength. Note,
that allowing 2G can degrade performance and scalability.

Thanks. Will it allow multiple file selection? If I allow 1GB files will
the browser or server timeout?

Eliyahu Goldin

There is no multiple file selection out of box. It is not an AP.NET issue,
it is a browser issues. Browsers don't do that. There are various
work-around solutions that you will easily find if you google for
"fileupload multiple file selection".

There are several reasons that may cause timeouts. There are various timeout
settings, there are memory allocation issues. This reference is quite old
but at least it can give you an idea about the issues:
http://weblogs.asp.net/mhawley/archive/2004/05/11/129824.aspx

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> If I allow 1GB files will the browser or server timeout?

That depends on how fast your client's, and your, connections are.

You'll need to set executionTimeout, in web.config's httpRuntime entry,
to the highest number of seconds that you estimate the transfer of the file will take.

In practice, setting up for 1GB transfers is not very efficient, as your server
will have a real performance drag until the file transfer is completed.

....and that's just for 1 transfer at a time.

If 2, 3 of 10 people request 1GB transfers, your goose is probably cooked.

How fast is your server's internet connection ?

Larry Bud

Are there any ASP.NET compatible controls out there that will allow you to
upload large files, up to 2 gb?

Prefer free of course. ;)

Any way to set your client up with FTP access? Then you can take
advantage of features such as Resume.

Gregory A. Beamer

Sometimes it is better to buy than build:
http://www.websupergoo.com/products.htm

Not sure it has all of the features you need, but I would look at the upload
component. You might be able to build something like this yourself, but I
imagine it would require an extensive amount of time.

If I were coding this, I would opt for some type of client control (windows
forms with Click Once or WPF, etc.). Silverlight might be a decent option,
as it is a one time download. I would then wrap in a good dowload (upload)
manager piece.

The method, via a website, is to use a multi-part form, which essentially
hangs on large files (it may end up working, but from user perspective it is
hung). You can get around this with AJAX (and some other methods), but you
are still filling up the HTTP pipe with a huge file.

Bobby Edward

Thanks everyone for the good info!

My client says his server will be able to handle it, so let's hope so! ;)

FTP idea is plan B. Thanks everyone once again.