Controling Page Width?

David Dorward

Peter said:
I want to have justified text kept within a certain width and I can do
this easily with TABLES, but I'd like to do it via style sheet
instead. I've been through my references but can't find anything.

Is there a way?

The 'width' property oddly enough.

DU

Peter said:
I want to have justified text kept within a certain width and I can do
this easily with TABLES, but I'd like to do it via style sheet
instead. I've been through my references but can't find anything.

Is there a way?

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Justified text is not recommended for visual browsers.

Typography: justified text
"(...) But even with sophisticated page layout software, justified text
blocks often suffer from poor spacing and excessive hyphenation and
require manual refinement. This level of control is not even a remote
possibility on Web pages. The most recent browser versions (and CSS)
support justified text, but it is achieved by crude adjustments to word
spacing. Fine adjustments are not possible on low-resolution computer
displays and are impractical to implement in today's Web browsers. (...)
the legibility of your Web documents will suffer if you set your text in
justified format."
http://www.webstyleguide.com/type/align.html

DU

Peter Charles

Justified text is not recommended for visual browsers.

Typography: justified text
"(...) But even with sophisticated page layout software, justified text
blocks often suffer from poor spacing and excessive hyphenation and
require manual refinement. This level of control is not even a remote
possibility on Web pages. The most recent browser versions (and CSS)
support justified text, but it is achieved by crude adjustments to word
spacing. Fine adjustments are not possible on low-resolution computer
displays and are impractical to implement in today's Web browsers. (...)
the legibility of your Web documents will suffer if you set your text in
justified format."
http://www.webstyleguide.com/type/align.html

DU

Thnaks, the justify looks good on my screen but . . . .

This site is my first attempt at using style sheets (I'm a fisherman,
not web designer) and I detest the automated WSIWYG HTMl code
generators so this one is being done the old fashioned way. My old
site was done back in 1997 and has only been enlarged, not redesigned,
since then so it was overdue.

I'm only part the way through but the structure is in place

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamersnew/index.html

If anyone cares to have a look . .

Peter