Controlling an Ambient Orb with Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bil Kleb, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Bil Kleb

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Is anyone using Ruby to feed an Ambient Orb data

    http://www.ambientdevices.com/cat/orb/

    using Ambient's serial port hardware developer kit?

    http://www.ambientdevices.com/developer/

    I'd like to use the Orb to monitor our Continuous Integration
    along the lines of,

    http://blogs.msdn.com/mswanson/articles/169058.aspx

    but instead of paying for the premium service fee to interface
    via the web/wireless routine, I would like to control it
    via a direct serial connection.

    Currently, I'm browsing their sample Java code and planning
    to use

    http://ruby-serialport.rubyforge.org

    unless someone has already been there, done that.

    Thanks,
    --
    Bil, Hampton, Virginia
    Bil Kleb, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Bil Kleb

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Aug 26, 2004, at 10:42, Bil Kleb wrote:

    > I'd like to use the Orb to monitor our Continuous Integration
    > along the lines of,

    Bil:

    Have you seen this:

    http://www.pragmaticautomation.com/cgi-bin/pragauto.cgi

    The top article is a guide to using Lava Lamps to achieve the same
    thing. Mike looked at using Ambient orbs, but they cost a lot more than
    a Firecracker controller and a couple of cheap lamps.

    Cheers

    Dave
    Dave Thomas, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Bil Kleb

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Aug 26, 2004, at 10:42, Bil Kleb wrote:
    >> I'd like to use the Orb to monitor our Continuous Integration
    >> along the lines of,

    > Have you seen this:
    >
    > http://www.pragmaticautomation.com/cgi-bin/pragauto.cgi

    Cool. --except for the Java bits ;)

    However, after Columbia, safety is number one; and so we'll
    have to go with the expensive, LED-powered Orb.

    I did snag the CVS loginfo RSS feed script -- excellent!

    Thanks,
    --
    Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
    Bil Kleb, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Bil Kleb

    Mike Clark Guest

    Hi Bil,

    > Cool. --except for the Java bits ;)
    >
    > However, after Columbia, safety is number one; and so we'll
    > have to go with the expensive, LED-powered Orb.
    >
    > I did snag the CVS loginfo RSS feed script -- excellent!

    If you wouldn't mind contributing a few paragraphs or so describing how
    you end up using Ruby to control the Orb, I'd love to post it on
    http://pragmaticautomation.com. You'll get full credit, of course.

    We have a few posts highlighting Ruby, but I'd like to showcase more
    automation techniques using Ruby on the site.

    Regards,

    Mike
    Mike Clark, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Bil Kleb

    Kirk Haines Guest

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:02:30 +0900, Mike Clark wrote

    > If you wouldn't mind contributing a few paragraphs or so describing
    > how you end up using Ruby to control the Orb, I'd love to post it on
    > http://pragmaticautomation.com. You'll get full credit, of course.
    >
    > We have a few posts highlighting Ruby, but I'd like to showcase more
    > automation techniques using Ruby on the site.

    Mike, what kind of things are you interested in with regard to Ruby
    automation? I use some Ruby scripts to automate regenerating sendmail
    database tables, to monitor/stop/start Iowa application processes, to act as a
    smart(ish) FTP proxy to fetch data files from one site and transfer them to
    another, to automatically load data feed files to database tables, and stuff
    like that. It's all pretty mundane, but easy to setup stuff with Ruby.

    Kirk Haines
    Kirk Haines, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Bil Kleb

    Mike Clark Guest

    Hi Kirk,

    > Mike, what kind of things are you interested in with regard to Ruby
    > automation? I use some Ruby scripts to automate regenerating sendmail
    > database tables, to monitor/stop/start Iowa application processes, to
    > act as a
    > smart(ish) FTP proxy to fetch data files from one site and transfer
    > them to
    > another, to automatically load data feed files to database tables, and
    > stuff
    > like that. It's all pretty mundane, but easy to setup stuff with Ruby.

    Yes, I'm definitely interested in the mundane stuff! :)

    Readers of that site are pretty much interested in anything related to
    project automation. Basically, how can I put my computer to work doing
    mundane, repetitive tasks so I have more time to write good code?

    Dave's piece on generating RSS from CVS loginfo using Ruby was very
    well received, for example:

    http://www.pragmaticautomation.com/cgi-bin/pragauto.cgi/Monitor/
    Loginfo2Rss.rdoc

    It's a cool and effective technique, and the fact that it uses Ruby
    gets folks thinking about using Ruby to automate other project tasks.
    Tasks like monitoring processes, transferring files, priming databases,
    and such are all fair game. Readers in general aren't Ruby
    programmers, but I think they appreciate solutions that use different
    tools.

    I hope that helps. I'm open to ideas, so feel free to send me a
    paragraph or two describing how an automation technique makes your life
    better and a snippet of Ruby code.

    Regards,

    Mike
    Mike Clark, Aug 27, 2004