Controlling other applications functionality

Mehdi Karamnejad

How can I access an applications objects and call their functions
programmatically using ruby? for example suppose there is a button in
an application which performs a task, I want to press that button with
my ruby script, how is this done?

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Mehdi said:
How can I access an applications objects and call their functions
programmatically using ruby? for example suppose there is a button in
an application which performs a task, I want to press that button with
my ruby script, how is this done?

Depends largely on the nature of the receiving application. Can you
provide more detail about what you want to control?

Best,

Mehdi Karamnejad

Marnen said:
Depends largely on the nature of the receiving application. Can you
provide more detail about what you want to control?

Best,

Well ,there is this application called Progdvb which is used to watch
satellite channels , I want to programmatically call its record button
at a certain time and recall again to stop recording
PS: I have whole bunch of needs too, for example I want to control some
functionality of my download manager(Flashget) , could you share more
light on >>"Depends largely on the nature of the receiving application"
what do I need to consider for this process?

Marvin Gülker

Mehdi said:
PS: I have whole bunch of needs too, for example I want to control some
functionality of my download manager(Flashget) , could you share more
light on >>"Depends largely on the nature of the receiving application"
what do I need to consider for this process?

What OS do you use, what's your Ruby version, do you only want to
control buttons... Things like that.

If you want a library to simulate user input (with Ruby 1.9), you may
have a look at my xdo (for Linux) and au3 (for Windows) libraries. You
can find it on RubyForge at http://rubyforge.org/projects/auto/ .

Marvin