ControlParameter and DataSourceID crossing Content elements

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    In ASP.NET 2.0, there doesn't seem to be much support for referencing
    element ID's across Content elements, using this new databinding
    syntax. The only way I've found is to string up a bunch of identifiers
    together ... for instance, if I have a chain of two master pages
    leading to this content page, then I'd say something like this:

    DataSourceID="firstContentId$secondContentId$theActualDataSourceID"

    Now that looks like it's just purely an unintentional side-effect of
    using FindControl to find the DataSource. I'm wondering, are there
    plans of making this easier to do in the future? I'd like to make a
    master page define content areas for different "stages" of a process,
    which would be shown or hidden in a sequence. (A search form, a
    results view, and a details view.) But I need to have
    ControlParameters get data from one content area into another area.

    It would be a really nice system, if I could just get this to work.
    I'll look into other ways, but this would've been nice to have. So,
    I'm just wondering if this is considered a "bug," or if I'm just not
    supposed to do this.

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark, Jul 27, 2006