ControlParameter and DataSourceID crossing Content elements

Mark

In ASP.NET 2.0, there doesn't seem to be much support for referencing
element ID's across Content elements, using this new databinding
syntax. The only way I've found is to string up a bunch of identifiers
together ... for instance, if I have a chain of two master pages
leading to this content page, then I'd say something like this:

DataSourceID="firstContentId$secondContentId$theActualDataSourceID"

Now that looks like it's just purely an unintentional side-effect of
using FindControl to find the DataSource. I'm wondering, are there
plans of making this easier to do in the future? I'd like to make a
master page define content areas for different "stages" of a process,
which would be shown or hidden in a sequence. (A search form, a
results view, and a details view.) But I need to have
ControlParameters get data from one content area into another area.

It would be a really nice system, if I could just get this to work.
I'll look into other ways, but this would've been nice to have. So,
I'm just wondering if this is considered a "bug," or if I'm just not
supposed to do this.

Thanks,
Mark