controls and performance ...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Ashish, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Ashish

    Ashish Guest

    hi all,
    Iam trying to investigate some serious memory problems and ways to
    optimize them in our web application.

    some of the information i collected using the performance monitor, is
    that number of assemblies loaded per appdomain is large,
    we have a lot of pages which are using number of user controls,
    some of the documentation i read in this respect was that when asp.net
    will compile the page ( first time it is accessed) it will create an
    assembly for each page , and if that page references user controls,
    assemblies would be created for each user control too

    I dont know how much iam correct on this

    this would load a large amount of assemblies and assemblies would not be
    unloaded untill the appdomain gets unlaoded from asp.net wp

    some articles on monitoring and performance also say that avoid using
    <%@reference .. > , <@%import ... > or <@%register > directives as these
    would create parse time dependencies, and use LoadControl instead, in
    all the examples online to use usercontrols, even though we can use
    loadcontrol, we still need to <@%register > directive to strong type
    casting

    can anyone throw more light on this, and may be tell me if my
    investigation is going in right direction or not,

    any help/pointers would be appreciated

    Regards
    -ashish

    Ashish, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Hi Ashish,

    This is not exactly correct. Whenever possible, ASP.NET will batch compile
    multiple pages and user controls together, hence creating a smaller number
    of assemblies that need to be loaded. Note that this does not happen if
    the page/uc has a debug=true attribute. Maybe that is whay you are seeing
    this?

    As for the suggestion about avoiding <%@reference .. > , <@%import ... > or
    <@%register >, it is not quite correct, except for one case: if you have
    <%@ import src="somefile.cs" %> that file is always compiled by itself.
    But for loading user control, it makes no difference whether you use
    @register or LoadControl when it comes to the number of assemblies that get
    loaded.

    Hope this helps,
    David;

    David Ebbo [MSFT], Dec 8, 2003

  3. Ashish

    Ashish Guest

    David Ebbo [MSFT] wrote:

    > Hi Ashish,
    >
    > This is not exactly correct. Whenever possible, ASP.NET will batch compile
    > multiple pages and user controls together, hence creating a smaller number
    > of assemblies that need to be loaded. Note that this does not happen if
    > the page/uc has a debug=true attribute. Maybe that is whay you are seeing
    > this?
    >
    > As for the suggestion about avoiding <%@reference .. > , <@%import ... > or
    > <@%register >, it is not quite correct, except for one case: if you have
    > <%@ import src="somefile.cs" %> that file is always compiled by itself.
    > But for loading user control, it makes no difference whether you use
    > @register or LoadControl when it comes to the number of assemblies that get
    > loaded.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > David;

    Thanks David,
    after so many days i thought no one would reply,
    i was also wondering that if some controls were conditional on the page
    i.e if there was a control which is embedded inside another control, and
    the container control is being haevily used, but embedded conntrol is
    used only in 10 % of the sitiuations, would conditional loading help
    reducing amount of objects being created ?

    TIA
    -ashish

    Ashish, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Yes, absolutely. If you conditionally load some controls, then you will
    indeed reduce the number of objects in the tree for requests where those
    conditional controls are not needed.

    David;

    originated.

    David Ebbo [MSFT], Dec 19, 2003