Controls calling other controls problem - ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Griff, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Hi

    I have a web page (content.aspx) that inherits from a master page
    (MasterPage.master).

    The master page has a control (which has to be on every web page, hence on
    the master page) (MasterControl.ascx). When placed on the master page this
    appears as <uc1:MasterControl ID="MasterControl1" runat="server" />.

    The MasterControl's Page_Init() event will contain some code to examine the
    Request object's properties (cookies) and calculate some value that it will
    expose as a property. This property is called "ImportantProperty()".

    Content.aspx has a specific control on it (ContentControl.ascx). When
    placed on the web page this appears as
    <uc1:ContentControl ID="ContentControl1" runat="server" />.

    The problem...

    The ContentControl.ascx's Page_Load() event must call the
    "ImportantProperty()" in the MasterControl. The resulting value dictates
    which view (another user control) to dynamically load at run time
    (View1.ascx, View2.ascx or View3.ascx).

    MSDN gives an example of how to call a property on the MasterControl from
    the Content.aspx page but NOT from a control on the Content.aspx page.
    Microsoft's example can be found on:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c8y19k6h.aspx I've tried to amend
    their example without success....could someone put me out of my misery
    please?

    Many thanks

    Griff

    Griff, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Have the page call to each control. Ultimately, the architecture is such
    that both the user control and the web control are controls on the page. The
    control of painting is passed to the master page, which makes it appear
    different, but it is, in essence a user control.

    Your other option is to iterate through the page controls until you find the
    master page, use reflection and set the property. I have not personally
    tried this, but this is the only way I know of getting the property.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 21, 2006

  3. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Hi

    Do you have any code example? I'm just not sure how the Content Page's User
    Control can access properties on the Master Page's User Control....

    Thanks

    Griff

    Griff, Sep 21, 2006