    Any pointers appreciated!

    BTW, the effects are visible with FF and IE.

    Janis
    Janis Papanagnou, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Janis Papanagnou

    Randy Webb Guest

    Re: Controls initially only react after hitting the reload button[OT?]

    Janis Papanagnou said the following on 12/23/2006 12:11 AM:
    > I hope this is not off-topic here, but I don't know the source of the
    > effect.
    >
    > I observed that my Javascript functions initially don't react if the
    > checkbox
    > or input fields are triggered. Only after hitting the browser's reload
    > button
    > once everything works as intended from now on. Has such behaviour been
    > observed before? And is there any way to avoid to initially have to hit the
    > reload button?
    >
    > A maybe related effect that I observed is some initial misformatting
    > that will
    > vanish after hitting the reload button. It such behaviour known?
    >
    > Any pointers appreciated!
    >
    > BTW, the effects are visible with FF and IE.

    Small sample page that displays that behavior? If you start with the
    page doing that and start trying to bring it to the smallest page that
    still displays the behavior you will usually end up finding what causes
    it. The obvious answer would be "Something is wrong in your code" but
    without seeing the code nobody will be able to tell you what is wrong
    with your code.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Re: Controls initially only react after hitting the reload button[OT?]

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > Janis Papanagnou said the following on 12/23/2006 12:11 AM:
    >
    >> I hope this is not off-topic here, but I don't know the source of the
    >> effect.
    >>
    >> I observed that my Javascript functions initially don't react if the
    >> checkbox
    >> or input fields are triggered. Only after hitting the browser's reload
    >> button
    >> once everything works as intended from now on. Has such behaviour been
    >> observed before? And is there any way to avoid to initially have to
    >> hit the
    >> reload button?
    >>
    >> A maybe related effect that I observed is some initial misformatting
    >> that will
    >> vanish after hitting the reload button. It such behaviour known?
    >>
    >> Any pointers appreciated!
    >>
    >> BTW, the effects are visible with FF and IE.

    > Small sample page that displays that behavior? If you start with the
    > page doing that and start trying to bring it to the smallest page that
    > still displays the behavior you will usually end up finding what causes
    > it. The obvious answer would be "Something is wrong in your code" but
    > without seeing the code nobody will be able to tell you what is wrong
    > with your code.

    Thanks for the response. It was clear to me that I gave too few data to
    obtain specific information what's wrong. What I hoped was that someone
    observed some similar effect and could maybe point me to something where
    to look at.

    As you suggest I'll try to reduce what I can. But let me explain the
    problem I have with this in case of the misformatting I reported above.

    The complete source is http://www.gridbug.de/weapons.html

    All the code for the initially visible 33 lines is _generated_ code thus
    of identical structure, and the few lines visibly differing (usually 1-3
    lines, and always the same; a subset of 'Hammer', 'Two weapon combat',
    'Martial arts') don't have any speciality in their HTML structure.

    And strangely, if I access the file on the local filesystem the effect
    isn't observable, just if I load it from a server.

    Janis, puzzled
    Janis Papanagnou, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Janis Papanagnou

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "Janis Papanagnou" <> wrote in message
    > I hope this is not off-topic here, but I don't know the source of the

    effect.

    > I observed that my Javascript functions initially don't react if the

    checkbox
    > or input fields are triggered. Only after hitting the browser's reload

    button
    > once everything works as intended from now on. Has such behaviour been
    > observed before? And is there any way to avoid to initially have to hit

    the
    > reload button?

    First, I should say, I have no idea what could be causing this. However, I
    have been noticing over the last few months that either at home, or at work,
    or elswhere, that pages quite often are not loading correctly. When I say
    pages, I mean from random sites, not mine. Refreshing the page seems to fix
    the problem in all cases.
    Sometimes I get a page that seems to bear no relationship to the link I
    clicked, and refresh brings up the correct page. Often it's an error, and
    again a refresh fixes it. Sometimes the css doesn't seem to have loaded,
    untill, again, refresh.
    This actualy began quite suddenly, and in my case it has always been IE6.
    Not that other browsers don't do it, just that in my case I used IE6 about
    95% of the time..
    One thing that may or may not be pertinent is that all the machines had the
    same anitvirus product running, though not all were the same version.
    Curious indeed,
    Vince Morgan
    Vince Morgan, Dec 23, 2006