Controls move when scroll appear/ disappear problem

Tamir Kamara

Hi,

I have a page with several server controls (textboxes, datagrid, ...) which
are positioned absolutely from the right of the page (like RIGHT: 25px;
POSITION: absolute;).
that works well if the page has or doesn't have a scrollbar in any case
(always). but when the page could have a vertical scrollbar (meaning that
sometimes it appears and sometimes doesn't) the page control's moves to the
right when the scrollbar appears as if the right corner of the page moves a
bit to the right because of the scroll.

I don't understand why this is happening since the position is from the
right and the scrollbar appears on the left (direction is rtl).

Is there any solution to this so that the controls won't move when the
scroll appear or disappear ?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You've succeeded in confusing me as well.
I don't understand why this is happening since the position is from the
right and the scrollbar appears on the left (direction is rtl).
Scroll bars appear on my right side of the screen. How is it that yours
appears on the left?

In any case if the scroll bars appeared on the left as you state, then the
page would have to adjust for the width of the scroll bar by pushing all
controls (right + width of scrollbar).

Alternatively, you should just set a horizontal scroll on the page if it is
this much heartache, or contract your server controls such that the take up
less horizontal space on the page.