    How do I solve this problem.

    Thanks,
    Stephen
    Stephen, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Stephen

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Do you mean with working that they don't post at all? Or do you just mean
    that they look bit crappy with Netscape? reason for the latter is that
    ASP.NET considers only IE as uplevel browser and ti have that for other
    browsers you'd need to customize the browser detection system in ASp.NET.
    Here you'll find more info:

    http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=250993#251040

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

    "Stephen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question. I have created an application using VS.NET and the
    > application runs fine on IE, (I mean all the image buttons, textboxes

    etc.)
    > I understand that validation control features dont work on Netscape, but

    why

    Teemu Keiski, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Stephen

    Charles Chen Guest

    Essentially, ASP.Net is configured to treat all browsers
    other than IE as down-level browsers. This means that
    while Opera 7, NN6+, and a host of other browsers are
    perfectly capable, ASP.Net's HtmlTextWriter will generate
    down-level HTML for these browsers. From link one below:
    ----------------------
    intro: ASP.Net -- its Request.Browser object is useful for
    easy browser detection. Request.Browser uses the
    <browserCaps> section of the machine.config XML file (and
    the optional web.config XML file) to match the current
    browser's User-Agent string with its matching
    capabilities.

    problem: just like ASP's browscap.ini before it, nobody
    official is taking responsibility to update this info.
    Microsoft pawns the job off on Cyscape.com, which doesn't
    care about doing the world a service (it's busy making a
    buck on its competing BrowserHawk product instead). As a
    result, machine.config is already woefully out-of-date,
    and unaware of newer browsers like Netscape 7, Safari, and
    Konqueror, so Request.Browser believes that they
    are "Netscape 5" (though Safari and Konqueror are wholly
    unrelated rendering engines).

    problem 2: I went searching and searching for a newer
    <browserCaps> section updated by someone else. I found
    some possibilites (linked below), but I didn't like that
    they don't identify Netscape as Gecko (extrapolating the
    Netscape brand's marketing version from the real Gecko
    engine's version). Since Gecko is the rendering engine
    underneath, that's what we webdevs should care about.

    solution: ...so I rolled my own. I swiped a starting
    point (also linked below), and warmed up my RegEx skills
    again for the rest. Besides identifying Netscape 6+ and
    Mozilla/Firebird as Gecko, it also fixes detection of
    Konqueror and Safari (aka AppleWebKit engine), both of
    which are erroneously ID'd as Netscape5 by the default
    machine.config.
    More information here:

    http://www.schkerke.com/blog/archive/2004/07/19/293.aspx
    http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/
    http://www.hunterstone.com/browsercaps/browsercaps.xml
    Please update your file Web.config or Machine.config file
    as it may cause several different ServerControls to render
    incorrectly in browsers such as Opera and FireFox.
    Charles Chen, Aug 6, 2004