Controls Problem

Stephen

Hi,

I have a question. I have created an application using VS.NET and the
application runs fine on IE, (I mean all the image buttons, textboxes etc.)
I understand that validation control features dont work on Netscape, but why
does'nt imagebuttons and buttons work on Netscape.
How do I solve this problem.

Thanks,
Stephen

Charles Chen

Essentially, ASP.Net is configured to treat all browsers
other than IE as down-level browsers. This means that
while Opera 7, NN6+, and a host of other browsers are
perfectly capable, ASP.Net's HtmlTextWriter will generate
down-level HTML for these browsers. From link one below:
----------------------
intro: ASP.Net -- its Request.Browser object is useful for
easy browser detection. Request.Browser uses the
<browserCaps> section of the machine.config XML file (and
the optional web.config XML file) to match the current
browser's User-Agent string with its matching
capabilities.

problem: just like ASP's browscap.ini before it, nobody
official is taking responsibility to update this info.
Microsoft pawns the job off on Cyscape.com, which doesn't
care about doing the world a service (it's busy making a
buck on its competing BrowserHawk product instead). As a
result, machine.config is already woefully out-of-date,
and unaware of newer browsers like Netscape 7, Safari, and
Konqueror, so Request.Browser believes that they
are "Netscape 5" (though Safari and Konqueror are wholly
unrelated rendering engines).

problem 2: I went searching and searching for a newer
<browserCaps> section updated by someone else. I found
some possibilites (linked below), but I didn't like that
they don't identify Netscape as Gecko (extrapolating the
Netscape brand's marketing version from the real Gecko
engine's version). Since Gecko is the rendering engine
underneath, that's what we webdevs should care about.

solution: ...so I rolled my own. I swiped a starting
point (also linked below), and warmed up my RegEx skills
again for the rest. Besides identifying Netscape 6+ and
Mozilla/Firebird as Gecko, it also fixes detection of
Konqueror and Safari (aka AppleWebKit engine), both of
which are erroneously ID'd as Netscape5 by the default
machine.config.
More information here:

http://www.schkerke.com/blog/archive/2004/07/19/293.aspx
http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/