Conversion of npyscreen module to python 3 -- help!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Nicholas, Oct 5, 2009.

  1. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Dear Pythoners,

    Like a loyal python coder, I was attempting to convert a library to
    python 3. I have been stung in various ways by the new import
    semantics - the tests that used to live happily within the module have
    now had to be moved elsewhere. So be it.

    But even though I have removed all the obvious things that are causing
    it to break, and even refactored the whole file-scheme of the module
    to make conversion more straight-forward, I'm still unable to get the
    code to work.

    I am clearly committing some horrible sin that works well in python 2
    but which doesn't in python 3. Despite reading the Release notes and
    PEPs over and over, though, I can't see what is wrong.

    If anyone could spare the time to have a quick look at the code at

    http://code.google.com/p/npyscreen/

    over and provide enlightenment, I would be extremely grateful. (the
    source code in the hg archive is more recent than the package for
    download)

    Best wishes,

    Nicholas
    Nicholas
    Nicholas, Oct 5, 2009

  2. En Mon, 05 Oct 2009 06:54:06 -0300, Nicholas <>
    escribió:

    > [...] I am clearly committing some horrible sin that works well in
    > python 2
    > but which doesn't in python 3. Despite reading the Release notes and
    > PEPs over and over, though, I can't see what is wrong.
    >
    > If anyone could spare the time to have a quick look at the code at
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/npyscreen/
    >
    > over and provide enlightenment, I would be extremely grateful.

    The package is too large for just a "quick look". What's precisely your
    problem? Try to isolate it; remove all unnecesary modules and directories,
    try to keep the minimum code that still reproduces the problem.
    You may solve it yourself in the process.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Oct 6, 2009