Conversion Problem ... Register TagPrefix

Michael Tissington

I'm trying to convert a project from VS2003 to VS2005

After conversion all of my TagPrefix are not recognized in the body.

<%@ Register TagPrefix="Oaklodge" TagName="Curve" Src="ctrls/Curve.ascx" %>

This does not report any errors, but when I try to use it like
<Oaklodge:Curve runat="server" />

I get the following error

Error 3 Element 'Curve' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a
compilation error in the Web site. C:\My
Documents\Oaklodge\oaklodge.com\default.aspx 19 17 http://localhost/

Any ideas please?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Michael,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, after you upgrading a certain ASP.NET 1.X project
(vs2003) to ASP.NET 2.0(vs2005), there occurs some compilation error with a
page use another ascx usercontrol ,yes?

Based on my experience, the VS.NET 2005 will do some modification on the
ascx file and its code file due to the new syntax , e.g:

change Codebehind to CodeFile....

However, as for the <%@Register TagPrefix... TagName..... %> it still
remains the same with 1.1 syntax. Also based on my local test through some
simple page and ascx control, seems didn't encouter the same error. So this
is likely a project or page specific problem. If you create a new aspx
page and drag the usercontrol control onto it (in the upgrated 2.0
project), does that page works correctly? If convenient, you can attach a
simple reproduce project so that we can peform some tests locally.

In addition, the following article include some common migrate issues , you
can also have a look to see whether there is any related scenario in your
web project:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/migration/upgrade/default.aspx?p
ull=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/conversionissuesasp_net.asp

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security