Convert coordinates XY into LAT-LONG

steeve.nadeau

Hi

I search algorithme to convert XY into Latitude/longitude to use
customer data with GPS...

thk in advance.

Jim Gibson

Hi

I search algorithme to convert XY into Latitude/longitude to use
customer data with GPS...

thk in advance.

I don't know of a perl implementation, but there are Fortran routines
available at:

ftp://www.ngs.noaa.gov/pub/pcsoft/for_inv.3d/source/

You are interested in the forward routine, which calculates the
latitude and longitude of a point that is a certain bearing and
distance from another latitude and longitude. The inverse routine
calculates the range and bearing between two lat,lon points.

One of these days I am going to convert these routines into perl, but I
haven't done it yet.

You can also search for algorithms implementing "geodesic distance" or
"geodetic inverse problem", or "Modified Rainsford's Method", but be
aware that one C++ implementation I found on the web (can't remember
which one now, sorry) had a bug in it.

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. You should try comp.lang.perl.misc in
the future for better response.