    compared to my app.
    3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
    local time zone.

    For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
    How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

    Any help on this is much appreciated!

    Regards,
    Deepu

    , Apr 28, 2007

  2. Dennis Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have the following scenario:
    > 1. My application receives the date from another application as a
    > string
    > 2. The other application is running in a different time zone as
    > compared to my app.
    > 3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
    > local time zone.
    >
    > For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
    > How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

    First convert the received time to UTC, then convert from UTC to your local
    time zone.

    - Dennis

    Dennis Jones, Apr 28, 2007

    Which function can I use to convert the date "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT
    2006" to UTC? The problem is I could not find a fucntion that takes
    time timezone(in this case "EDT") as an input parameter and gives me
    the corresponding UTC.

    On Apr 28, 10:02 am, "Dennis Jones" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > I have the following scenario:
    > > 1. My application receives the date from another application as a
    > > string
    > > 2. The other application is running in a different time zone as
    > > compared to my app.
    > > 3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
    > > local time zone.

    > > For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
    > > How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

    > First convert the received time to UTC, then convert from UTC to your local
    > time zone.
    >
    > - Dennis

    , Apr 29, 2007
  4. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Which function can I use to convert the date "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT
    > 2006" to UTC? The problem is I could not find a fucntion that takes
    > time timezone(in this case "EDT") as an input parameter and gives me
    > the corresponding UTE.

    In the time you have wasted looking for some code, you could have written
    the code yourself! Start coding.

    osmium, Apr 29, 2007
  5. On 2007-04-29 15:16, osmium wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Which function can I use to convert the date "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT
    >> 2006" to UTC? The problem is I could not find a fucntion that takes
    >> time timezone(in this case "EDT") as an input parameter and gives me
    >> the corresponding UTE.

    > In the time you have wasted looking for some code, you could have written
    > the code yourself! Start coding.

    Well, almost true but timezons complicates a lot of things when DST is
    considered (especially over in the US where every county seems to have
    it their own way).

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Apr 29, 2007
  6. osmium Guest

    "Erik Wikström" wrote:

    > On 2007-04-29 15:16, osmium wrote:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which function can I use to convert the date "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT
    >>> 2006" to UTC? The problem is I could not find a fucntion that takes
    >>> time timezone(in this case "EDT") as an input parameter and gives me
    >>> the corresponding UTE.

    >> In the time you have wasted looking for some code, you could have written
    >> the code yourself! Start coding.

    > Well, almost true but timezons complicates a lot of things when DST is
    > considered (especially over in the US where every county seems to have it
    > their own way).

    The example he posted showed EDT which has a nice fixed relationship to UTC.
    So someone has already solved the problem you allude to.

    osmium, Apr 29, 2007

    My requirement is *not* just to convert a date string in "EDT" time
    zone to UTC ( if it were this post would not exist at all).

    I may get the date string from any time zone and I need to convert
    this to UTC. Now to do this, I need to know the offset of the time
    zone in question from UTC, the abbreviation such as EDT would not
    suffice.

    Is there any API that provides me with the offset for a given
    abbreviated timezone or is creating a database of such offsets and
    using it the only option?

    --Deepu

    On Apr 29, 9:00 pm, "osmium" <> wrote:
    > "Erik Wikström" wrote:

    > >> In the time you have wasted looking for some code, you could have written
    > >> the code yourself! Start coding.

    > > Well, almost true but timezons complicates a lot of things when DST is
    > > considered (especially over in the US where every county seems to have it
    > > their own way).

    > The example he posted showed EDT which has a nice fixed relationship to UTC.
    > So someone has already solved the problem you allude to.

    , Apr 30, 2007
  8. On 2007-04-30 04:43, wrote:
    > My requirement is *not* just to convert a date string in "EDT" time
    > zone to UTC ( if it were this post would not exist at all).
    >
    > I may get the date string from any time zone and I need to convert
    > this to UTC. Now to do this, I need to know the offset of the time
    > zone in question from UTC, the abbreviation such as EDT would not
    > suffice.
    >
    > Is there any API that provides me with the offset for a given
    > abbreviated timezone or is creating a database of such offsets and
    > using it the only option?

    As I said, DST makes a mess of this since the offset depends partially
    on what date it is, however I suspect that all platforms except some
    embedded ones will have some way of converting between different times,
    ask in a group for your platform and you'll probably get an answer.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Apr 30, 2007
  9. Boris Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 06:12:25 +0200, <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have the following scenario:
    > 1. My application receives the date from another application as a
    > string
    > 2. The other application is running in a different time zone as
    > compared to my app.
    > 3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
    > local time zone.
    >
    > For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
    > How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

    You might want to have a look at
    http://www.boost.org/doc/html/date_time.html.

    Boris

    Boris, May 1, 2007