Convert date recevied as String to date in local time zone

deepak_kamath_n

Hello,

I have the following scenario:
1. My application receives the date from another application as a
string
2. The other application is running in a different time zone as
compared to my app.
3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
local time zone.

For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

Any help on this is much appreciated!

Regards,
Deepu

Dennis Jones

Hello,

I have the following scenario:
1. My application receives the date from another application as a
string
2. The other application is running in a different time zone as
compared to my app.
3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
local time zone.

For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

First convert the received time to UTC, then convert from UTC to your local
time zone.

- Dennis

deepak_kamath_n

Which function can I use to convert the date "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT
2006" to UTC? The problem is I could not find a fucntion that takes
time timezone(in this case "EDT") as an input parameter and gives me
the corresponding UTC.

osmium

Which function can I use to convert the date "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT
2006" to UTC? The problem is I could not find a fucntion that takes
time timezone(in this case "EDT") as an input parameter and gives me
the corresponding UTE.

In the time you have wasted looking for some code, you could have written
the code yourself! Start coding.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

In the time you have wasted looking for some code, you could have written
the code yourself! Start coding.

Well, almost true but timezons complicates a lot of things when DST is
considered (especially over in the US where every county seems to have
it their own way).

osmium

Erik Wikström said:
Well, almost true but timezons complicates a lot of things when DST is
considered (especially over in the US where every county seems to have it
their own way).

The example he posted showed EDT which has a nice fixed relationship to UTC.
So someone has already solved the problem you allude to.

deepak_kamath_n

My requirement is *not* just to convert a date string in "EDT" time
zone to UTC ( if it were this post would not exist at all).

I may get the date string from any time zone and I need to convert
this to UTC. Now to do this, I need to know the offset of the time
zone in question from UTC, the abbreviation such as EDT would not
suffice.

Is there any API that provides me with the offset for a given
abbreviated timezone or is creating a database of such offsets and
using it the only option?

--Deepu

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

My requirement is *not* just to convert a date string in "EDT" time
zone to UTC ( if it were this post would not exist at all).

I may get the date string from any time zone and I need to convert
this to UTC. Now to do this, I need to know the offset of the time
zone in question from UTC, the abbreviation such as EDT would not
suffice.

Is there any API that provides me with the offset for a given
abbreviated timezone or is creating a database of such offsets and
using it the only option?

As I said, DST makes a mess of this since the offset depends partially
on what date it is, however I suspect that all platforms except some
embedded ones will have some way of converting between different times,
ask in a group for your platform and you'll probably get an answer.

Boris

Hello,

I have the following scenario:
1. My application receives the date from another application as a
string
2. The other application is running in a different time zone as
compared to my app.
3. I need to convert the received date string in to a date w.r.t my
local time zone.

For e.g., the string I recv is : "Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 EDT 2006"
How do I convert this to a date w.r.t my local timezone?

You might want to have a look at
http://www.boost.org/doc/html/date_time.html.

Boris