    10 days, and it took almost 3 months to do the original one, so my question
    is, is there a way (tool add on, etc) to convert this thing to the web
    without a total rewrite of the application?

    CSharpCoder, Jul 17, 2008

  2. CSharpCoder

    CSharpCoder Guest

    Yes, it has one main form, and then other forms that pop up when a button is
    clicked. The user then enters in data into the 'child' and that is stored to
    be used on the parent form.

    Its doing alot of stuff its for a body shop and they wanted it web enabled.

    CSharpCoder, Jul 17, 2008

  3. CSharpCoder

    bruce barker Guest

    unless you are using sharepoint with the excel engine (or some third
    party excel library), you will probably have to code the site from
    scratch. unless you are already familar with asp.net coding, it will
    take longer than the excel version, and will be a different user interface.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 18, 2008
  4. CSharpCoder

    CSharpCoder Guest

    They want it on their intranet. It helps them calculate repair jobs

    CSharpCoder, Jul 18, 2008
  5. CSharpCoder

    CSharpCoder Guest

    I can make it into a SharePoint site, I don't think that will be an issue.
    As for .NET (asp.net) I've been doing that for years, I was just seeing if
    there was an easy way to convert this to a web app.

    CSharpCoder, Jul 18, 2008
  6. I've converted several Excel apps to other formats and have a pretty quick
    (and dirty) way to get started. I'm assuming you will get rid of the Excel
    stuff and move to a database. With SQL Server I use the import function to
    bring in each sheet as a table. This usually results in a nasty looking DB
    and at this point you need to consider if you can cleanup the DB or use it
    as is. Clean of course is best, but structural changes will cause
    significant changes to the program logic. With your time constraint likely
    not a good idea for now. Throw in a few views and SP's to fill the gaps,
    and then just drag tables, etc from the server explorer onto your
    forms/pages. Dragging a combination of Detail and Grid views can usually
    get you pretty close to where you need to be, especilly if your app is
    basically a store and retrieve type.

    It's an ugly approach, but you can do the basics with an app of that size in
    a couple of hours. From there you should be able to estimate how much
    effort would be required to finish. For the code conversion if you have
    access to a good CASE tool (I like PowerDesigner) you can reverse engineer
    your VBA and then change your target to C# and generate your code. This
    tool also makes database cleanup pretty easy.

    Worst case you can run your app under an application that serves app forms
    as web pages. There is one used all the time but I'm drawing a blank on the
    name (not enough coffee yet:))

    randy.buchholz, Jul 18, 2008
  7. CSharpCoder

    tanpreet

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    How to convert .xls file into a web application

    Hi Randy Buchholz,

    I have a similar query. I have a excel workbook in which I have a couple of worksheets. The workbook has few macro buttons and a userform. Now I want to convert this workbook into a web application. I would like to present the main sheet in a web browser (e.g. HTML) and where user can access the same macro buttons and userform and the results are displayed in the browser itself. The processing is all done in excel, the web browser just acts as an interface. How can this be achieved. Please guide.

    Thank you.

    Tanpreet

    tanpreet, Aug 7, 2008