    Junkone Guest

    is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
    apprecaite ur help
    Junkone, Dec 27, 2007

  2. Junkone wrote:
    > is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
    > apprecaite ur help

    Just use the OLE interface to open the spreadsheet, then do a "save as" CSV.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 27, 2007

  3. Ratnavel Sundaramurthi, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Junkone

    bbiker Guest

    On Dec 27, 1:29 am, Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <>
    wrote:
    > Try ruport.......
    >
    > its a report generating tool......

    Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!
    bbiker, Dec 27, 2007
  5. bbiker wrote:
    > On Dec 27, 1:29 am, Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <>
    > wrote:
    >> Try ruport.......
    >>
    >> its a report generating tool......
    >> --

    > Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!

    That's what I said ... you have to code it in Ruby, though ... doing it
    with the mouse is cheating! :)

    OK ... Ruby Quiz proposal ... what's the most complicated path you can
    come up with to do this? Open the spreadsheet as a database in Rails?
    Extra points for requiring a Windows machine, a Linux machine and a Mac.
    Even more extra points for doing it totally without a Windows machine.
    Anything goes -- OpenOffice bindings -- uploading it to Google Office --
    AJAX -- decoding the binary with "unpack" -- you name it.

    ;)
    ;)
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 27, 2007
  6. Junkone

    Marc Heiler Guest

    Marc Heiler, Dec 27, 2007
  7. On 27/12/2007, Junkone <> wrote:

    > is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
    > apprecaite ur help

    try the gem 'roo'!

    -Thomas

    --=20
    Thomas Preymesser

    B=FCro: 030 - 830 353 88
    mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
    Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06
    http://thopre.wordpress.com/
    http://www.thopre.com/
    Thomas Preymesser, Dec 27, 2007
  8. Junkone

    Junkone Guest

    On Dec 27, 5:42 am, Thomas Preymesser <> wrote:
    > On 27/12/2007, Junkone <> wrote:
    >
    > > is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
    > > apprecaite ur help

    > try the gem 'roo'!
    >
    > -Thomas
    >
    > --
    > Thomas Preymesser
    >

    > Büro: 030 - 830 353 88
    > mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
    > Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06http://thopre.wordpress.com/http://www.thopre.com/

    roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
    and goffice spreadsheets to csv.
    Junkone, Dec 27, 2007
  9. 2007/12/27, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <>:
    > bbiker wrote:
    > > Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!
    > >

    > That's what I said ... you have to code it in Ruby, though ... doing it
    > with the mouse is cheating! :)

    ... but very _pragmatic_! ;-)

    > OK ... Ruby Quiz proposal ... what's the most complicated path you can
    > come up with to do this?

    Actually IMHO that's a bad quiz idea because with whatever solution
    someone comes up, you will be able to find a more complicated solution
    by simply adding a step. :)

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Dec 27, 2007
  10. On Dec 27, 8:36 am, Junkone <> wrote:

    > roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
    > and goffice spreadsheets to csv.

    The web site at http://roo.rubyforge.org/ claims that it works with
    Excel spreadsheets. Is this not correct?
    Karl von Laudermann, Dec 27, 2007
  11. On 27/12/2007, Junkone <> wrote:

    > roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
    > and goffice spreadsheets to csv.
    >
    > Oh - but it should ...

    I will fix this in the next release.

    -Thomas

    --=20
    Thomas Preymesser

    B=FCro: 030 - 830 353 88
    mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
    Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06
    http://thopre.wordpress.com/
    http://www.thopre.com/
    Thomas Preymesser, Dec 27, 2007
  12. On 27/12/2007, Junkone <> wrote:

    > roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
    > and goffice spreadsheets to csv.

    Excel#to_csv is now available again in release 0.8.2
    Sorry, it disappeared with the last great restructuring of my gem.

    -Thomas

    --=20
    Thomas Preymesser

    B=FCro: 030 - 830 353 88