convert from PDF to postscript

David McDivitt

We are creating PDF files in our application and storing them, but we must
also print them. I have it narrowed down to executing LPR from the
application. Sample postscript files printed OK with this command, so I need
to convert PDF files to postscript. I've been looking for something to do
this and can't find it. I found such things as a2ps and pdf2ps but no java
implementation of these. Help is desperately needed converting PDF to PS for
printing. hanks

Ann

David McDivitt said:
We are creating PDF files in our application and storing them, but we must
also print them. I have it narrowed down to executing LPR from the
application. Sample postscript files printed OK with this command, so I need
to convert PDF files to postscript. I've been looking for something to do
this and can't find it. I found such things as a2ps and pdf2ps but no java
implementation of these. Help is desperately needed converting PDF to PS for
printing. hanks

Can you use Acrobat Reader?

David McDivitt

No. These are server side java applications having batch print output. The
app server cannot be assumed to have printers attached. The LPR program will
send a postscript file to a print server. We just need to create the
postscript file. After more reading I see pdf2ps mentioned many times but
have not found a java library to implement it. Another option is the GS
linux/unix command but I haven't found the right documentation or syntax
yet. I would prefer to have java write a postscript file.

Ann

David McDivitt said:
No. These are server side java applications having batch print output. The
app server cannot be assumed to have printers attached. The LPR program will
send a postscript file to a print server. We just need to create the
postscript file. After more reading I see pdf2ps mentioned many times but
have not found a java library to implement it.

Why does it have to be a java library? Does the server support only java?

David McDivitt

It does not have to be a java library. When pdf2ps was first read about I
thought it was a java library, and I tried to find a pdf2ps java library.
Now it seems pdf2ps is a unix command and can be installed on the Solaris
box. If there I can use it from java applications. I do not have access to
the Solaris box. Another department manages that. When asked they said they
do not have pdf2ps. So I need to find where I can get it and documentation,
they ask them to install it. his seems to be the best approach to solve the
problem.

dar7yl

It does not have to be a java library. When pdf2ps was first read about I
thought it was a java library, and I tried to find a pdf2ps java library.
Now it seems pdf2ps is a unix command and can be installed on the Solaris
box. If there I can use it from java applications. I do not have access to
the Solaris box. Another department manages that. When asked they said
they
do not have pdf2ps. So I need to find where I can get it and
documentation,
they ask them to install it. his seems to be the best approach to solve
the
problem.

Some suggestions:
1) switch to a different output format from your application
- you can for instance try JasperReports if you have
the patience to learn a new system.

2) write a servlet, .jsp or even (heaven forbid) .asp
to capture the output, and save it or forward it to
one of those non-java converters you found.
(you seem to be on-track here)

3) figure out how to call Acrobat Reader from your app
and how to command it to print to a PostScript printer
capture driver.

regards,
Dar7yl

Thomas Weidenfeller

David said:
We are creating PDF files in our application and storing them, but we must
also print them. I have it narrowed down to executing LPR from the
application.

It is lpr, not LPR. Unix is case sensitive.
Sample postscript files printed OK with this command, so I need
to convert PDF files to postscript. I've been looking for something to do
this and can't find it.

What? Whats wrong with Adobes own free Acrobat reader?

acroread -toPostScript | lpr

Or what is wrong with the xpdf project's pdftops tool (under GPL)?

Or what is wrong with good old ghostscript?

I would be extremely surprised if non of these can be found on your
server. It is more likely that you have two or even all of them.

/Thomas