Convert htm pages to aspx pages

moondaddy

I have a website that currently has all static htm pages and nothing will be
dynamic for quite some time. This site is made up of a bunch of htm pages.
is there any advantage or disadvantage of converting them to aspx pages? We
are using VS 2005 and .net 2.0.

Thanks.

albert braun

if you're not going to need any dynamic capabilities on those pages,
and they already do pretty much what you want, i suggest just leaving
them as is.

i guess a broader assortment of web design tools are designed to work
efficiently with htm pages than with aspx pages, so you have more
flexibility if you just leave them alone until you need to make them
dynamic.

also, if you go to the (albeit small) trouble to modify them to become
..aspx, test that they still work right, and then you never actually
need dynamic functionality on those pages, you've just wasted your
time/effort.

just my 2 cents' worth. good luck.

:)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Albert's informative inputs.

Hi Moondaddy,

If there is no particular dynamic content generation in your web site, just
leave your website purely static, there is no need to convert them to
ASP.NET pages.... ASP.NET page just provide powerful support on
generating dynamic content, data-driven pages... And from performance
perspective, static html files has much better perofmrances since they
don't require ASP.NET runtime to process (directly served by IIS server)
and they can also be cached through http cache on clientside......

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "albert braun" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Re: Convert htm pages to aspx pages
| Date: 14 Dec 2005 22:31:12 -0800
|
| if you're not going to need any dynamic capabilities on those pages,
| and they already do pretty much what you want, i suggest just leaving
| them as is.
|
| i guess a broader assortment of web design tools are designed to work
| efficiently with htm pages than with aspx pages, so you have more
| flexibility if you just leave them alone until you need to make them
| dynamic.
|
| also, if you go to the (albeit small) trouble to modify them to become
| .aspx, test that they still work right, and then you never actually
| need dynamic functionality on those pages, you've just wasted your
| time/effort.
|
| just my 2 cents' worth. good luck.
|
| :)

Guest

You guys are thinking like programmers -- there is a different answer if you
think like a designer:

Yes.
By converting you can take advantage of master pages, menus, and even use
the grid objects to format your data and make it sortable. Although these are
designed for dynamic content, they can add value to static content, as they
make the maintenance easier.

Is this worth the performance hit and the effort to convert? That is up to
you.
Are there other tools that would do the same thing for you? Sure. But then
if you ever do want to integrate a .NET app, you are using two different
tools.

So my answer would be that converting would not change your world or
anything, but there are some benefits, and it would be up to each individual
to measure the pros/cons and make their own decision.

moondaddy

Thanks. This sounds about right. My main reason for asking is to get my
arms around the situation for a better understanding as this is my first 2.0
project. I had 3 points of interest to use aspx pages; 1) to check out
asp.net 2.0, 2) to use master pages for ease of maintanence, and 3) later we
will wire up a db for dynamic content.

Thanks for all the feedback above!