    that can do a straight data model to data model conversion. Is there
    some mechanism that does this? If there isn't, why doesn't one exits?

    , Oct 6, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Is there a way to convert a Java model to anyother java model without
    > XML?
    >
    > I am planning on converting Java data model-> xml->xslt->xml->java data
    > model
    >
    > I'd like to cut out the xml part and replace the xslt with something
    > that can do a straight data model to data model conversion. Is there
    > some mechanism that does this? If there isn't, why doesn't one exits?

    Indeed, I suspect that sometimes XSLT is (mis)used as a poor-mans
    replacement for a technique known as pattern matching in functional
    programming languages, eg Haskell (see haskell.org).
    Where XSLT works on XML structures (thus the temptation to convert your
    'models' to XML, perhaps), whereas Haskell's pattern matching mechanism
    directly applys to arbitrary data structures.
    The closest thing i am aware of in java world (if you ignore the fact
    that it's a completely new programming language) is perhaps Scala:
    http://scala.epfl.ch/ , but well err no free lunch here :-/

    Not sure, but HTH...
    Andreas

    Andreas Wollschlaeger, Oct 6, 2006