convert lat long from string

DaveF

I need to do some calculations with lat long. Does anyone have an example
how to work with lat long so I don't loose values

Kevin Spencer

Latitude and Longitude are numbers. They can be represented in decimal
degrees (-90.0 to 90.0 Latitude, -180.0 to 180.0 Longitude),
degrees:minutes:seconds (a minute is 1/60 of a degree; a second is 1/60 of a
minute), or in Radians, or Arc-seconds (an arc-second is 1/3600 of a
degree).

You want examples, but you don't say what you want examples OF. Therefore, I
can't give you any. There are lots of ways you can "do some calculations"
with Latitude and Longitude. What exactly do you want to calculate?

I can tell you this much: The earth is an oblate spheroid, with a larger
diameter at the equator than at the poles. This makes calculating LatLong
somewhat difficult. Even if you treat the earth as a perfect sphere, using
the Mean Earth Radius to do your calculations, you will have to use some
trigonometry to do so. After all, we are talking about a set of
3-dimensional coordinates on a sphere or oblate spheroid here.

So, what do you want to calculate?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer