Convert PowerPoint slides to HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by JDS, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. JDS

    JDS Guest

    I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    embedded images.

    I need to convert them to a website.

    There is a bunch of complicating stuff in-bewteen, but my question is
    broad, so some of the details are not critical. Has anyone else converted
    a PPT presentation to a webpage? How did you do it?

    My problems include the following:

    * PPT's native "Save as Web Page..." tool sucks ass-nuggets. The
    resulting slide show is only viewable in MSIE and the resulting slide show
    is full of unnecessary markup and and general bandwidth waste. Using
    "Save As Webpage..." is *not* an option!!

    * The slides are all supposed to be the same format but they are not.

    * This site will need to be maintained in a CMS by a non-techie. (I am
    building the CMS).

    * Getting images out of PPT files sucks ass-nuggets. The only real option
    is "Save as Web Page..." and then taking the resulting image files in the
    xxx_files subdirectory. However, resizing the *huge* images for use on
    the web takes some (albeit only a small amount) technical skill that I'm
    not confident the non-techie who will be maintaining this thing has.

    * Other issues...

    Right now I'm just brainstorming so any ideas would be great. Thank you
    thank you!

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Feb 23, 2005

  2. JDS

    Toby Inkster Guest

    JDS wrote:

    > I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    > embedded images.
    > I need to convert them to a website.

    Tried OpenOffice.org?

    It can convert Powerpoint presentations into HTML and/or Flash.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Feb 23, 2005

  3. JDS

    mscir Guest

    JDS wrote:

    > I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    > embedded images. I need to convert them to a website.<snip>
    > * Getting images out of PPT files sucks ass-nuggets. The only real option
    > is "Save as Web Page..." and then taking the resulting image files in the
    > xxx_files subdirectory. However, resizing the *huge* images for use on
    > the web takes some (albeit only a small amount) technical skill that I'm
    > not confident the non-techie who will be maintaining this thing has.

    Screen capture each slide, paste into Photoshop, crop the part of the
    image you want to keep, adjust it to your liking, File > Save For Web as
    a compressed jpg? You could also make images of the back and forward
    arrows, etc, and use them in your html pages if you wanted to recreate
    the PPT look.

    Mike
    mscir, Feb 23, 2005
  4. JDS

    Mitja Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:36:57 -0500, JDS <> wrote:

    > I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    > embedded images.
    > I need to convert them to a website.

    Hmmmm..... how often will the slides change? How advanced does the CMS
    need to be?
    HTML is not exactly a great language for creating presentations - at least
    not ones with all kinds of fancy graphics and charts. If a non-techie, and
    one that possibly isn't even able to resize images, has to maintain it,
    I'd say it's a no go.
    The other options I see are:
    1) screen captures. You could make a great tool for that - maybe get an
    open source image grabbing software, then modify the code so that when
    your CMS user presses say F7, the screen gets captured PLUS your proggie
    detects where the slide is and crops it. But there's still the problem of
    placing the image into the CMS, i.e. determining which slide of which file
    was captured. Maybe some fancy API calls?
    2) why force html at all? Give the visitors a link to ppt & the free ppt
    viewer, or, better still, convert it to pdf. That's extremely easy to do
    if you have Adobe Acrobat installed.

    Mitja
    Mitja, Feb 23, 2005
  5. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:03:36 +0000, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > JDS wrote:
    >
    >> I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    >> embedded images.
    >> I need to convert them to a website.

    > Tried OpenOffice.org?
    >
    > It can convert Powerpoint presentations into HTML and/or Flash.

    Thanks. I did, and actually, Oo_Org converts PPT into Jpeg images, too.
    And with more flexibility than PowerPoint. (At least, PPT 2000, the
    version I am using). You can actually select what size image output you
    want.

    Thing is, I am not crazy about the convert-to-image idea. It goes against
    the grain of my philosophy that Web pages ought to be text, not pictures
    of text.

    Did I mention that the web pages do not have to look *exactly* the same as
    the PPT slides? Just the same content.

    So how to get all that stuff out of PPT in an easy fashion?

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Feb 23, 2005
  6. "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > JDS wrote:
    >
    >> I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    >> embedded images.
    >> I need to convert them to a website.

    > Tried OpenOffice.org?
    >
    > It can convert Powerpoint presentations into HTML and/or Flash.

    Have you actually been able to get that to work? I tried once, awhile ago,
    and it wasn't pretty. :p

    About the only thing I've been able to nicely export with openoffice, is rtf
    to pdf.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Feb 23, 2005
  7. JDS

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when JDS <>
    wrote:

    >I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    >embedded images.
    >
    >I need to convert them to a website.

    This is quite easy as a piece of VBA / ActiveX coding. You use the
    Powerpoint object model to read the content from code, rather than
    fooling with file formats.

    There must be a million such tools to do this already. The one I use
    is from the W3C, but I don't know if it's public or internal use.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 24, 2005

    These guys do that. www.mpaqtech.com

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Feb 24, 2005
  9. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:16:18 -0500, Travis Newbury wrote:

    > These guys do that. www.mpaqtech.com

    Yes, they do -- I took a look at their website. But their solution is not
    quite acceptable to me. Problems include: They require Windows Media
    player browser plugin and everything else is done in Flash.

    Personally, I hate Flash more and more every day, at least as a way of
    producing an information-oriented website.

    But thanks for the suggestion!

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Feb 24, 2005
  10. JDS

    JDS Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:55:57 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > This is quite easy as a piece of VBA / ActiveX coding. You use the
    > Powerpoint object model to read the content from code, rather than
    > fooling with file formats.

    Could you be more specific? Lead me to examples and whatnot?

    All the references I can find about PPT -> HTML on W3.org are *old* -- as
    in 8+ years old.

    --
    JDS | lid
    JDS, Feb 24, 2005
  11. JDS

    John Brandt Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a set of MS PowerPoint slides. Around 50 slides, most with
    >embedded images.
    >
    >I need to convert them to a website.

    Might want to try this plug-in for MS-Office.

    http://www.rehab.uiuc.edu/office/

    It will create HTML pages for PPT and make them accessible.

    jeb
    John Brandt, Feb 24, 2005
  12. JDS

    wrote:

    >All the references I can find about PPT -> HTML on W3.org are *old* -- as
    >in 8+ years old.

    That's probably the one ! I know I got it in '99. But as the core
    HTML standards are 8 years old and PowerPoint (barring some
    fripperies) has been the same for about the same time, then it keeps
    going.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 24, 2005