    one, while keeping the layout?

    --
    John Dalberg
    John Dalberg, Feb 3, 2005

  2. John Dalberg wrote:

    > Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS
    > based one, while keeping the layout?

    No. I don't know of any tools that can make a good, valid CSS layout,
    much less convert something else.

    Suggest you start afresh, with a good text editor. I like Crimson
    Editor. http://crimsoneditor.com It's free, too.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 3, 2005

  3. John Dalberg wrote:
    > Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS

    based
    > one, while keeping the layout?

    Yes, it is called "you". Yes I am being facicious.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Feb 3, 2005
  4. John Dalberg

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:17:06 -0800 John Dalberg wrote:

    > Is there a tool that can convert a table based web page into a CSS
    > based
    > one, while keeping the layout?

    No problem with doing it yourself.
    Each table cell is replaced with a "Division".
    Is now replaced with <div>text</div>
    Using styling, you tell the division how it's to be displayed and where.

    background:white; border:1px solid blue; position:absoulute; top:50px;
    left:50px; float:left;">

    This creates a block 100 pixels high and wide, 50 pixels from the top left
    corner of the window. It has a background color of white, with a solid blue
    border of 1px width.
    The float:left tells the division to be placed left of the next division,
    text, or graphic.
    And there are a few hundred other tricks to be played with as well.

    You'll find plenty of good reading material about CSS divisions on the web.
    Richard, Feb 3, 2005
  5. John Dalberg

    Oli Filth Guest

    To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
    99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
    advice. Including what he's just written.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Feb 3, 2005
  6. John Dalberg

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:35 GMT Oli Filth wrote:

    > To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
    > 99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
    > advice. Including what he's just written.

    www.somestuff.batcave.net/box.html

    I'll correct myself a little.
    The reason for the float:left element was to show that it is part of the css
    coding.
    As the OP will learn, some things do not work as planned.
    Richard, Feb 4, 2005
  7. John Dalberg

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:35 GMT Oli Filth wrote:
    >

    >>To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
    >>99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
    >>advice. Including what he's just written.

    > www.somestuff.batcave.net/box.html
    >
    > I'll correct myself a little.
    > The reason for the float:left element was to show that it is part of the css
    > coding.
    > As the OP will learn, some things do not work as planned.

    I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
    positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
    of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Feb 4, 2005
  8. "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Richard wrote:
    > > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:35 GMT Oli Filth wrote:
    > >

    > >>To the original poster, PLEASE don't listen to anything Richard says,
    > >>99.9% of the stuff he writes in this group is plain wrong or very bad
    > >>advice. Including what he's just written.

    > > www.somestuff.batcave.net/box.html
    > >
    > > I'll correct myself a little.
    > > The reason for the float:left element was to show that it is part of the

    css
    > > coding.
    > > As the OP will learn, some things do not work as planned.
    > >

    > I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
    > positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
    > of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

    For the layout??!!

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/mietpreise-san-gregorio-di-catania.php
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 4, 2005
  9. John Dalberg

    Oli Filth Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
    >>positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
    >>of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

    > For the layout??!!

    IMHO, yes using absolute positioning to lay everything out would be a
    pain in the arse. You'd need to give each element a unique ID, then
    within the CSS you'd need a separate section for each of these IDs, and
    you'd have to screw about guessing pixels/percentages until it worked.
    Then as soon as you changed the content of an element it'd all go wrong
    again. Not particularly flexible or easy to maintain (unless I'm missing
    something here. Anyone care to fill me in? ;) )

    Plus it completely destroys the paradigm of fluid layouts that
    automatically reflow as the browser window changes size.

    At least with tables, this is all done automatically (to an extent).

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Feb 4, 2005
  10. "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > >>I wasn't talking about just that. Recommending the use of absolute
    > >>positioning for each DIV (that used to be TDs) is an appalling mis-use
    > >>of HTML and CSS. Using tables is better than that.

    > > For the layout??!!
    > >

    > IMHO, yes using absolute positioning to lay everything out would be a
    > pain in the arse. You'd need to give each element a unique ID, then
    > within the CSS you'd need a separate section for each of these IDs, and
    > you'd have to screw about guessing pixels/percentages until it worked.
    > Then as soon as you changed the content of an element it'd all go wrong
    > again. Not particularly flexible or easy to maintain (unless I'm missing
    > something here. Anyone care to fill me in? ;) )
    >
    > Plus it completely destroys the paradigm of fluid layouts that
    > automatically reflow as the browser window changes size.
    >
    > At least with tables, this is all done automatically (to an extent).
    >
    > --
    > Oli

    May-be you are right about absolute positioning. But why should you want to
    use it rather than
    relative positioning?
    I changed from frames to tables and from tables to CSS as much as it
    concerns the layout ( in most cases)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 4, 2005
  11. John Dalberg

    Oli Filth Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > May-be you are right about absolute positioning. But why should you want to
    > use it rather than
    > relative positioning?

    I didn't say anything about relative positioning. :)

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Feb 4, 2005
  12. John Dalberg

    irishdreaming

    Joined:
    May 29, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I know this was eons ago, but I was having to deal with this today, and while googl'ing found this post. Thought I would post how to do it.

    In Dreamweaver go to Modify>Convert>Tables to AP Divs.

    You can also do it vise versa
    irishdreaming, May 29, 2009