convert time to ruby time to calculate the time difference.

Ruwan Budha

Hi all,

I have following two time stamps,

12:35:10:757 & 12:35:10:759

I want to convert them to ruby time and find the time difference.

which is a 2 micro seconds.

I would appreciate any help..

thanks in advance

Francesco Vollero

Il 20/09/10 17.21, Ruwan Budha ha scritto:
Hi all,

I have following two time stamps,

12:35:10:757& 12:35:10:759

I want to convert them to ruby time and find the time difference.

which is a 2 micro seconds.
Simply:

require 'time'

mT=Time.utc(2010,9,20,12,35,10,757)
=> Mon Sep 20 12:35:10 UTC 2010
mT1=Time.utc(2010,9,20,12,35,10,759)
=> Mon Sep 20 12:35:10 UTC 2010
mT1-mT
=> 2.0e-06
I would appreciate any help..

thanks in advance
You're welcome, but before ask, try to google a bit...[1]

[1] http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Time.html#M000252

Kirk Haines

Brian Candler wrote in post #942410:

If you got the ruby time, you can use the gem 'time_diff' to get the
time difference in a useful format like year, month, week, day, hour,
minute, second

I haven't looked at the gem, but....it's all just simple math, except
for the month part, which takes a bit more work. Does the gem
_actually_ calculate the difference in months between two dates, or
does it just approximate it?

Kirk Haines
Software Engineer
EngineYard