    What do I need to do to get around this without having to go to each page
    and add the reference to the control back into the page?

    Thanks in advance!
    Rick, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Hi Rick,

    Based on my understanding, you're migrating a VS2003 web project to VS2005
    using the Web Application Project type.

    First, if you haven't read the guide on the convertion here, I recommend
    you to read it:

    #Migrating a VS 2003 Web Project to VS 2005
    http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx

    From the guide, in step 8: Convert to Partial Classes:

    <quote>
    When you migrate your project using the above steps, none of your
    code-behind page code or classes are modified. This means that the code
    should look (and work) just like it did in VS 2003. This makes it much
    easier to migrate existing code to VS 2005.

    You can optionally choose to keep your code in this format. Doing so will
    require you to manually update the control field declarations within your
    code-behind file -- but everything else will work just fine in VS 2005.
    </quote>

    This means converting to the partial classes mode is optional, the migrated
    web application should be working fine without this.

    Please confirm if this is working correctly on your side if you don't run
    the action "Convert To Web Application".

    Further down the guide, it also mentioned that:

    <quote>
    If for some reason the .designer.cs file doesn't have a control declaration
    added, you can manually declare it within the code-behind file of the page
    (just like you would in VS 2003). One issue we've sometimes seen reported
    are cases where a developer has specifically overriden the type of a
    Usercontrol declaration in a VS 2003 code-behind file (for example:
    MyControl1 instead of the generic UserControl base class), and the type
    isn't correctly transferred to the .designer.cs file (producing a compile
    error). If the correct user-control type declaration isn't added to the
    designer.cs file, you can optionally just delete it from the .designer.cs
    and add it the code-behind file of the page instead. VS 2005 will then
    avoid re-adding it to the .designer.cs file (it first looks in the
    code-behind file for declarations before updating the .designer.cs file on
    changes).
    </quote>

    Please check if the controls you mentioned that having the issue are of
    this type: if you've specifically overridden the type of the UserControl,
    then the migration wizard will not create them in the designer file.

    If you think the guide doesn't help or your project has some specific
    issues, please help me to further troubleshoot this by sending me a smaller
    but still reproducible project. Thank you for the trouble in advance.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    ications. If you are using Outlook Express/Windows Mail, please make sure
    you clear the check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to
    see your reply promptly.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Aug 8, 2007

  3. Hi Rick,

    I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
    know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Aug 13, 2007