    Hi,

    How do we convert XML schema into DTD

    priyanshu
    PJ, Sep 20, 2005

  2. PJ

    Mukul Gandhi Guest

    Hi Priyanshu,
    I think it is not possible to map all the constraints in XML Schema
    into a DTD. XML Schema specification is very vast as compared to DTD
    language. In short my answer is, this is not the excercise worth
    doing..

    Regards,
    Mukul
    Mukul Gandhi, Sep 20, 2005

  3. PJ

    Soren Kuula Guest

    Mukul Gandhi wrote:
    > Hi Priyanshu,
    > I think it is not possible to map all the constraints in XML Schema
    > into a DTD. XML Schema specification is very vast as compared to DTD
    > language. In short my answer is, this is not the excercise worth
    > doing..

    On the other hand, Bex, Neven et al have found that 85% of all (valid)
    practically used XML Schema's are structurally equivalent to DTDs.

    If just giving up on simple types (saying they are all CDATA), it should
    no be too hard.

    Soren
    Soren Kuula, Sep 21, 2005
  4. PJ

    Soren Kuula Guest

    Soren Kuula wrote:

    > On the other hand, Bex, Neven et al have found that 85% of all (valid)
    > practically used XML Schema's are structurally equivalent to DTDs.

    The paper's titled "Expressiveness of XSDs: fro Practice to Theory, Ther
    and Back Again"
    Soren Kuula, Sep 21, 2005