    xml file can be very long and the digit precision of some data fields
    is strictly required. Thanks a lot!

    Jie

    Jie, Oct 21, 2008

  2. On Oct 21, 3:16 pm, Jie <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > does anyone know about an open-source tool or method that can convert
    > a certain xml file to a spreadsheet (e.g. xls)? Can one import xml
    > data in the OpenOffice program Calc? The problem is that the original
    > xml file can be very long and the digit precision of some data fields
    > is strictly required. Thanks a lot!
    >
    > Jie

    One idea would be to transform the XML document into a csv file and
    import the csv file into your favourite spreadsheet application.

    Hermann

    Hermann Peifer, Oct 21, 2008

  3. Jie

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Jie wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > does anyone know about an open-source tool or method that can convert
    > a certain xml file to a spreadsheet (e.g. xls)? Can one import xml
    > data in the OpenOffice program Calc? The problem is that the original
    > xml file can be very long and the digit precision of some data fields
    > is strictly required. Thanks a lot!

    This was one of the first demos for XML conversion I wrote, before XSLT
    appeared. It runs awk on the ESIS output of onsgmls and produces CSV.

    http://silmaril.ie/downloads/software/xml2csv/xml2csv.zip

    Bear in mind this is a proof-of-concept, not a production tool.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Oct 21, 2008
  4. Jie

    marilynn83

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    i had the same problem of trying to convert a really long large xml file to something i can view in excel. This is what i did:

    1. changed the extension to .csv (not xls, that didn't work)
    2. opened excel and opened the file

    i know the columns aren't quite right, but this is a much quicker way to view the data.

    marilynn83, Jun 2, 2011
  5. Jie

    janegi

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    If you have MS Access, import the XML to access, then export as XLS. CLose to zero effort and fully formatted. Watch out for fields that have incorrect type (such as importing to Text format instead of memo format and so on). Any import errors will show up in the Import Error table.

    janegi, Nov 28, 2011
  6. Jie

    karthikeyanseo

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    CA, 95054
    I think contact any kpo services like informatics outsourcing

    karthikeyanseo, Dec 13, 2011