    As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

    Thanks in advance.

    Mothra

    Mothra, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Re: Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worthit?

    Mothra wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
    > http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm
    > and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

    Only you and your module's users may tell...

    > First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
    > this project to learn python.

    Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)

    > I was wondering if there was a
    > "How to program python for perl programmers"
    > Kinda
    > like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
    > and what not.

    http://www.hackdiary.com/slides/lpw2004/
    http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/OSCON2002/
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-September/241757.html
    http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

    Google is your friend, as usual...

    Note that, apart from the Perl/Python diffs, Python has some (few)
    gotchas, one of them being the difference between mutable and immutable
    objects.

    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    > Thanks in advance.

    HTH, and welcome on board.

    PS: please don't consider my sig as representative of a good Python
    coding style !-)

    --
    bruno desthuilliers
    p in ''.split('@')])"

    bruno modulix, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Re: Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worthit?

    Hi All--

    bruno modulix wrote:

    > Mothra wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
    > > http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm
    > > and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

    > Only you and your module's users may tell...

    I'd use it.

    > > First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
    > > this project to learn python.

    > Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)

    If you can get your mind off the @#)*&^@#!!&-ing Perl syntax, you'll be
    fine;-)

    > > Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
    > > As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

    > http://www.python.org/pypi/

    They're working on the Python version of CPAN, but it's taking a long
    time. I think they started in 1998 or so? Haven't kept up, so I have
    no idea what's taking so long. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than
    me will come along and set us straight.

    Metta,
    Ivan
    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works
    http://www.andi-holmes.com/
    Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

    Ivan Van Laningham, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Mothra

    Mothra Guest

    "Ivan Van Laningham" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All--
    >
    > bruno modulix wrote:
    > >
    > > Mothra wrote:
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I am the current author of the Astro-Sunrise perl module
    > > > http://search.cpan.org/~rkhill/Astro-Sunrise-0.91/Sunrise.pm
    > > > and was wondering if it would be worth while to convert it to python.

    > > Only you and your module's users may tell...
    > >

    > I'd use it.

    I guess I spoke to soon
    http://kortis.to/radix/python/code/Sun.py

    This was from the same source I used to create ny module.

    > > > First off, I have never programmed in python. I would like to use
    > > > this project to learn python.

    > > Well, this might be an answer to your first question !-)
    > >

    > If you can get your mind off the @#)*&^@#!!&-ing Perl syntax, you'll be
    > fine;-)
    >
    > > > Another question is, if I do this where can I put the results?
    > > > As far as I know python has no "CPAN".

    > > http://www.python.org/pypi/
    > >

    > They're working on the Python version of CPAN, but it's taking a long
    > time. I think they started in 1998 or so? Haven't kept up, so I have
    > no idea what's taking so long. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than
    > me will come along and set us straight.

    I checked out the above link (thanks!!) I need to look deeper
    at the docs for creating a "module"

    Thanks all for the responses!!

    Mothra

    Mothra, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Re: Converting a perl module to a python module would it be worthit?

    Mothra a écrit :
    (snip)

    > I checked out the above link (thanks!!) I need to look deeper
    > at the docs for creating a "module"

    Well, start with wrting the code - you'll take care of
    how-to-distribute-it later.

    > Thanks all for the responses!!

    You're welcome.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Apr 14, 2005
  6. On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:25:26 -0700, "Mothra" <>

    > this project to learn python. I was wondering if there was a
    > "How to program python for perl programmers" Kinda
    > like what is different between the two, pitfalls for perl programmers
    > and what not.

    Out of print, but maybe available used...

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/002-5394829-5755224?v=glance&s=books

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Apr 15, 2005