converting a perl script

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Andy T, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. Andy T

    Andy T Guest

    Hi

    forgive me if I seem a bit dumb but at my age its allowed.

    I havea script called bignosebird which I adapted to send me some info
    about people booking in for a race meeting. (radio controlled cars)

    I have just been told I am using form mail so I need to change it so I
    am using nms formmail instead of PHP3 but none of it makes sense?
    (they said its a spam engine)

    Has any one got a few mins to check out what I need to do so I can
    get it clear in my mind please??

    If you mail me I will send you the URL of my booking form to see if
    you can understand what I am trying to achive and how I can integrate
    this nms formmail.

    Thanks in advance!
    Regards Andy T



    --
    For users by users - BY-users group
    <http://www.by-users.co.uk>
     
    Andy T, Jan 15, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Andy T

    Guest

    Andy T wrote:
    > I havea script called bignosebird which I adapted to send me some info
    > about people booking in for a race meeting. (radio controlled cars)


    Hmmm. The name of your script suggest it originally came from
    http://bignosebird.com (a somewhat outdated script site).

    > I have just been told I am using form mail so I need to change it so I
    > am using nms formmail instead of PHP3 but none of it makes sense?


    "form mail" is a script on Matt's Script Archive (MSA,
    http://www.scriptarchive.com/). This site has no association with
    bignosebird, so the justaposition of the two names is somewhat
    confusing. And neither bignosebird nor MSA (to my knowledge) ever
    published programs for the PHP3 language, which adds to the confusion.

    Matt Wright (the MSA guy) wrote and published some scripts back in the
    mid-90's. They weren't very good scripts (as even Matt himself now
    admits). Some PerlMongers established a project (nms) to completely
    rewrite the MSA scripts, but make them drop-in replacements for MSA.

    If you did get your mail script from MSA then you really should replace
    it with the nms counterpart:
    http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

    Because nms is a drop-in replacement, the only thing you need to do is
    overwrite your MSA-version of formmail.pl (or whatever you called it)
    with the nms version that you can download from the website above. You
    don't need to edit any code. It's a two-minute fix which will close
    the holes in MSA formmail.pl.

    If, however, you really ARE using a bignosebird script, the above
    probably will not apply.

    --
    The best way to get a good answer is to ask a good question.
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
     
    , Jan 15, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Andy T

    Andy T Guest

    On 15 Jan 2007 15:42:09 -0800, wrote:

    >Andy T wrote:
    >> I havea script called bignosebird which I adapted to send me some info
    >> about people booking in for a race meeting. (radio controlled cars)

    >
    >Hmmm. The name of your script suggest it originally came from
    >http://bignosebird.com (a somewhat outdated script site).




    Yes this is fact where it came from!


    >> I have just been told I am using form mail so I need to change it so I
    >> am using nms formmail instead of PHP3 but none of it makes sense?

    >
    >"form mail" is a script on Matt's Script Archive (MSA,
    >http://www.scriptarchive.com/). This site has no association with
    >bignosebird, so the justaposition of the two names is somewhat
    >confusing. And neither bignosebird nor MSA (to my knowledge) ever
    >published programs for the PHP3 language, which adds to the confusion.


    The fact my ISP mentioned PHP3 did confuse me somewhat!





    >Matt Wright (the MSA guy) wrote and published some scripts back in the
    >mid-90's. They weren't very good scripts (as even Matt himself now
    >admits). Some PerlMongers established a project (nms) to completely
    >rewrite the MSA scripts, but make them drop-in replacements for MSA.
    >
    >If you did get your mail script from MSA then you really should replace
    >it with the nms counterpart:
    > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml



    Had a look there and can understand what you say IF I had a MSA script
    I would find it quite simple I guess.


    >
    >Because nms is a drop-in replacement, the only thing you need to do is
    >overwrite your MSA-version of formmail.pl (or whatever you called it)
    >with the nms version that you can download from the website above. You
    >don't need to edit any code. It's a two-minute fix which will close
    >the holes in MSA formmail.pl.


    Which would be nice LOL

    >
    >If, however, you really ARE using a bignosebird script, the above
    >probably will not apply.


    Yes that is the case so what next!.

    Am I allowed to post the script to see what people suggest please??
    Regards Andy T



    --
    For users by users - BY-users group
    <http://www.by-users.co.uk>
     
    Andy T, Jan 18, 2007
    #3
  4. Andy T

    Andy T Guest

    On 15 Jan 2007 15:42:09 -0800, wrote:


    >
    >If, however, you really ARE using a bignosebird script, the above
    >probably will not apply.


    sorry I forgot the URL of the form!

    http://www.bnrc.co.uk/bnb/winter1211.html

    My problem is am very happy to learn but I dont have much time as
    these forms are being used daily and I need to try and solve my dilema
    ASAP.

    Any help appreciated!
    Regards Andy T



    --
    For users by users - BY-users group
    <http://www.by-users.co.uk>
     
    Andy T, Jan 18, 2007
    #4
  5. Andy T

    Guest

    Andy T wrote:
    > On 15 Jan 2007 15:42:09 -0800, wrote:
    > >If, however, you really ARE using a bignosebird script, the above
    > >probably will not apply.

    >
    > Yes that is the case so what next!.
    >
    > Am I allowed to post the script to see what people suggest please??


    No (it would violate the BNB copyright/republication notice at the end
    of the script). However, it's not necessary; it was easy to find the
    script that you're using:

    http://bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbform/bnbform.txt

    According to the comments at the top of the script, it was written in
    1998 and updated in 2000 for "security reasons" (and the context
    suggests some of these reasons concerned e-mail functionality). You
    should insure you are using this updated version.

    But the updated version does not enable taint checks, which is standard
    for good CGI progamming. You should enable taint checking by adding -T
    to your shebang line, ie:

    #!/usr/bin/perl -T

    This might cause something to break (which, in this case, is a good
    thing). See "perldoc perlsec" for information about tainted
    parameters.

    I briefly skimmed the script. I'm not a big fan of it - it disregards
    many practices considered manditatory in good modern Perl programming
    (notably the lack of "use strict" and, to a lesser extent, "use
    warnings"). However, I didn't see any obvious huge problems. But one
    thing is for sure: you are NOT using MSA form mail, as you have been
    accused of.

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
     
    , Jan 18, 2007
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Wet Basement
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,525
    BobMonk
    Jul 15, 2003
  2. dpackwood
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,806
  3. pj
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    288
  4. Petterson Mikael

    Execute another perl script from my perl script

    Petterson Mikael, Jan 5, 2005, in forum: Perl Misc
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    140
    Paul Lalli
    Jan 5, 2005
  5. Replies:
    20
    Views:
    734
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Jan 18, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page