Converting a website to ruby

Kaspir Ghost

I'm pretty new to ruby, and I've been grasping everything that I've read
pretty well. Now I want to convert my website to ruby (not rails yet) so
I can use ruby to create forms with the cgi library. My web hosting
doesn't allow ruby to run with any other markup or scripting, so when I
turn ruby on I need to have my site already coded in ruby and ready to
go.

Considering that I'm new at this, I'm kind of lost. Yes I have searched
google, and the forums already. There's information but it's
overwhelming because it's so much new information. What I really want is
just some guided direction. I'm not asking for people to write tutorials
for me or anything, although I wouldn't mind some links to good
tutorials for this purpose specifically. I just want some quick
information like, what exactly should I study.

Also, I use HTML5 and CSS 3. I noticed that with cgi you cannot use
HTML5. Does that mean you can't use HTML5 in any ruby code? What about
CSS 3?

Thanks in advance

Roger Pack

Kaspir said:
I'm pretty new to ruby, and I've been grasping everything that I've read
pretty well. Now I want to convert my website to ruby (not rails yet) so
I can use ruby to create forms with the cgi library. My web hosting
doesn't allow ruby to run with any other markup or scripting, so when I
turn ruby on I need to have my site already coded in ruby and ready to
go.

Maybe use ruby CGI?

http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/cgi/rdoc/index.html

Hassan Schroeder

Now I want to convert my website to ruby (not rails yet) so
I can use ruby to create forms with the cgi library.

CGI? Archaic and pointless, IMO -- if not Rails, there are other light
weight "frameworks" like Sinatra, Camping, Merb, etc. that you could
use instead.
My web hosting
doesn't allow ruby to run with any other markup or scripting

That makes virtually no sense at all, but whatever...
Considering that I'm new at this, I'm kind of lost. Yes I have searched
google, and the forums already. There's information but it's
overwhelming because it's so much new information.

Yep. Dive in and write a 'hello world' then, in CGI, Sinatra or whatever
you choose.
Also, I use HTML5 and CSS 3. I noticed that with cgi you cannot use
HTML5.

Where in the world would you get such an idea?

Kaspir Ghost

IMO instead of CGI? I'll look into those other frameworks too thanks.

Hassan said:
That makes virtually no sense at all, but whatever...

When I enable ruby on my hosting account, it ONLY works for ruby. It
won't display html.

Hassan said:
Yep. Dive in and write a 'hello world' then, in CGI, Sinatra or whatever
you choose.

I will do just that. I planned on it, I just wasn't sure if I was
heading in the right direction.

Hassan said:
Where in the world would you get such an idea?

Because it's lighter, has more features, and is the latest in stylesheet
and mark up...

Hassan Schroeder

IMO instead of CGI? I'll look into those other frameworks too thanks.

IMO = "In My Opinion"

But I'd suggest you use anything but CGI.
When I enable ruby on my hosting account, it ONLY works for ruby. It
won't display html.

That's ridiculous. Find a real hosting company.
Because it's lighter, has more features, and is the latest in stylesheet
and mark up...

I meant, where in the world would you get the idea that "with cgi you
cannot use HTML5."

Kaspir Ghost

IMO = "In My Opinion"
But I'd suggest you use anything but CGI.

Well What exactly would you suggest then.
I meant, where in the world would you get the idea that "with cgi you
cannot use HTML5."

Because I was reading about escaping HTML with .cgi and it didn't say
you could use HTML5. Only 3 and several versions of 4.