Converting Access form to a asp form

Jack

Hi,
I have an Access application which need to be converted to asp-sql server
application. This Access application uses a single form. This form has got a
SS number with names and age. The form has two subforms. One of the subform
uses a physical test score which is basically four different fields while the
other subform is one that has a written test score with three fields. Entry
to both physical and written scores are done through this form. Both the
forms can have multiple entries to make sure we are tracking historical
scores. The relationship between the ssn table and the physical test score
table is 1: n while that between ssn table and the written score table is 1:
n. With this scenario what is the best way to design form in asp pages? Any
references, advise or help is appreciated. Thanks.

vicky

Its not clear, if entry has to be done in the form, then why are sub
form's needed.

vicky

Bob Barrows [MVP]

vicky said:
Its not clear, if entry has to be done in the form, then why are sub
form's needed.
That's Access terminology. Access has a control called a subform which is
commonly used in the situation described in the OP.

Anthony Jones

Jack said:
Hi,
I have an Access application which need to be converted to asp-sql server
application. This Access application uses a single form. This form has got a
SS number with names and age. The form has two subforms. One of the subform
uses a physical test score which is basically four different fields while the
other subform is one that has a written test score with three fields. Entry
to both physical and written scores are done through this form. Both the
forms can have multiple entries to make sure we are tracking historical
scores. The relationship between the ssn table and the physical test score
table is 1: n while that between ssn table and the written score table is 1:
n. With this scenario what is the best way to design form in asp pages? Any
references, advise or help is appreciated. Thanks.

So to distill out of the above the non-business revelant details you have a
form representing a single master record. Inside which you have two sub
forms each listing child records. Each subform is a scrollable list of
multiple child records. Is this correct?

You mentioned that there are multiple child records for the purpose of
history. If so are each record displayed editable or is it only possible to
add new records not modify existing ones?

Jack

Thanks to everyone for the reply. I apologize for not getting back early as I
got sick. Anthony, please note that the way access form is now, one can both
add and edit the subform details. However, I am sure the handling via asp
will be somewhat different. My question was, how this access scenario is
going to be handled in asp form as asp does not have sub form concept. I am
still looking for the best way to handle the situation so that the design of
the system is as optimizes as possible.
Best regards,

Mike Brind

ASP doesn't have any kind of concept of how you are displaying stuff on
a web page. It's html that you use to do this. You imitate a subform
in html. The "main" form may, for instance, contain a company record
(which will have an associated AddressID, or other unique identifier).

The "subform" will contain employees at that company.

psuedo code:

sql="SELECT fields FROM Employees WHERE Employees.AddressID = " &
mainformAddressID"

Anthony Jones

Jack said:
Thanks to everyone for the reply. I apologize for not getting back early as I
got sick. Anthony, please note that the way access form is now, one can both
add and edit the subform details. However, I am sure the handling via asp
will be somewhat different. My question was, how this access scenario is
going to be handled in asp form as asp does not have sub form concept. I am
still looking for the best way to handle the situation so that the design of
the system is as optimizes as possible.
Best regards,

There are a great many variables to consider here.

What impact is there on the users if you take a radically different approach
to the UI to make it easy to implement in classic ASP style. That is rows
of static data with links to popup forms that allow the line data to be
edited.

Alternatively you could go for a similar UI with everything being editable
and communicate with the back end using XML. This is much more complex to
build but can give the user a better experience.

In either case a page with an a couple of IFrames is probably the direction
you would be looking in.