Converting ASP.NET from VB2003 2 VB2005 - Loosing DataSets

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by S.Tedeschi, Jun 15, 2007.

  1. S.Tedeschi

    S.Tedeschi Guest

    Hi all;
    as posted some days ago, I'm converting an on-line app; I used to
    heavily rely on strongly-typed DataSets directly dropped onto pages,
    and so viewed by code(-behind) as well. In the next two weeks I
    discovered that such objects are no more directly usable in pages,
    namely in DataGrid which don't see them any more. Even if rebuilt in
    Component Designer, and so visible in code, DataSets are invisible in
    Page Designer, so now it's necessary to rely on DataSources pointing
    to DataSets. Does it make sense?

    However, that's my problem:
    As described above, I've created ObjectDataSource linked to DataSets,
    using Clone method to retrive data from dataSets, and GetChanges
    methods to pass data back to dataSets for Update, Delete and Insert (a
    sort of forced 3-tier approach, where BLL are DataSets). Am I correct?
    Is there a better way not forcing me to rewrite all code?
    Till now, I've filled dataSets from dataAdapters, operated in
    DataTables (containd in DataSets) and then Updated/Deleted/Inserted
    from DataTables, and so I wish to continue, for compatibility reasons.

    S.Tedeschi, Jun 15, 2007