Converting .doc files to .xml

Jordi Cuenca

Hi,

I am looking for an already developped tool that could convert Word .doc
files (I do not mind the version) to .xml format.

That tool should be a command line tool and I should be able to convert
several files from .doc to .xml and, very important, I should be able to
get the non-text data of the file (I mean, for example, author, last
printing time and so on).

The idea I have of it is somethink like:

c:\> doc2xml [list of parameters] *.doc *.xml

I've been trying with antiword but I did not succeed because it is
asking me for a DTD file that I do not know from where to get it.

Thank you.

Jordi.
(e-mail address removed)

Steve Ball

How about using MS Word 2003? The "File->Save As" dialog box allows
you to select XML as a file type. This saves the document as WordML,
which has all of the metadata you are looking for.

If you need this to be command line, then your best bet is to probably
write some VBA or C# code to fire up Word in the background.

HTHs,
Steve Ball
Explain
http://www.explain.com.au/

Harrie

Steve Ball said the following on 2005-10-06 14:34 +0200:
How about using MS Word 2003? The "File->Save As" dialog box allows
you to select XML as a file type. This saves the document as WordML,
which has all of the metadata you are looking for.

In that case I would recommend OpenOffice.org, since it's default file format is gzip'ed xml. It saves it's meta data in the meta.xml file (if you're on Windows, just open the sxw file with WinZip or compatible program and you will get a bunch of files).
If you need this to be command line, then your best bet is to probably
write some VBA or C# code to fire up Word in the background.

If that's possible for MS Word, it will probably also be possible for OpenOffice.org.