    could convince them that the resulting generated srcipts are harder to
    work with than the original perl, something like that.

    , Jan 16, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I had some resistance at work because our support team uses sed, but I
    > wrote some perl code. I have been trying to argue my case and win them
    > over, not sure if they are interested in learning perl or bettering
    > themselves technically in that regard.
    >
    > If I get stuck, I am wondering if there is some transaltion utilities
    > to translate perl pattern matching expressions to sed expressions where
    > possible as well as maybe translating simple perl
    > scripts to c shell. That way I could develop what I need to in perl in
    > such a way as to convert it to sed/c shell when I am done. Maybe I
    > could convince them that the resulting generated srcipts are harder to
    > work with than the original perl, something like that.

    Scripting in C Shell? Nooooo.....

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

    If you have a commercial UNIX, you almost certainly have ksh. If you
    have a free UNIX/UNIX-clone, you almost certainly have bash. Use them.

    In any case, you can't automatically translate from perl to a shell
    + sed, because perl is a superset of that. You can do too many things
    in perl you can't do in a shell + sed.
    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"

    Chris Mattern, Jan 16, 2005

  3. <> wrote:

    > I had some resistance at work because our support team uses sed, but I
    > wrote some perl code. I have been trying to argue my case and win them
    > over, not sure if they are interested in learning perl or bettering
    > themselves technically in that regard.

    There is a mailing list for discussion of getting more
    folks to use Perl:

    http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=advocacy

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting