converting pipe delimited file to fixed width

digz

Hi,
I am trying to convert a | delimited file to fixed width by right
padding with spaces, Here is how I have written the program , just get
the feeling this can be done in a much better ( python functional )
way rather than the procedural code i have below . Any help
appreciated

#!/usr/bin/python
def rightFill(fillString, toLength, fillChar):
return fillString+''.join([fillChar for x in range(len
(fillString),toLength)])

fieldWidth=[ 14, 6, 18, 21, 21,4, 6 ];

file = open("/home/chatdi/input.csv", "r");
lines = file.readlines()
file.close()

out = open( "/home/chatdi/ouptut.csv", 'w')
for line in lines:
line = line[:-1]
index = 0
for token in line.split('|'):
paddedToken = rightFill(token, fieldWidth[index], ' ' )
out.write( paddedToken )
index = index + 1
out.write("\n")

MRAB

digz said:
[...]

Here's my version:

#!/usr/bin/python

field_widths = [14, 6, 18, 21, 21, 4, 6]

out = open("/home/chatdi/ouptut.csv", 'w')
for line in open("/home/chatdi/input.csv", "r"):
fields = line.rstrip().split('|')
padded_fields = [field.ljust(width) for field, width in zip(fields,
field_widths)]
out.write("".join(padded_fields) + "\n")

out.close()

odeits

[...]

Caveat: none of the solutions (including mine) deal with the case of
the field being longer than the width. You might want to throw an
exception.

I use the csv module to do the reading of the file, i am going to do
some testing to see if i can set the delimiter to '' so that i can
also use it for the output. For now this should work.

http://docs.python.org/library/csv.html

import csv

fieldWidth=[ 14, 6, 18, 21, 21,4, 6 ];
csvfilepath = 'somefile.csv'

outcsvfilepath = 'someoutfile.csv'
endl = '\n'

f = open(csvfilepath)
outf = open(outcsvfilepath)

csvfile = csv.reader(f,delimiter = '|')

for row in csvfile:
outrow = [ field + fillchar * (width - len(field)) for width, field
in zip(fieldWidth,row)]
outcsv.write( ''.join(outrow))
outcsv.write( endl )

f.close()
outf.close()

Terry Reedy

digz said:
Hi,
I am trying to convert a | delimited file to fixed width by right
padding with spaces, Here is how I have written the program , just get
the feeling this can be done in a much better ( python functional )
way rather than the procedural code i have below . Any help
appreciated

#!/usr/bin/python
def rightFill(fillString, toLength, fillChar):
return fillString+''.join([fillChar for x in range(len
(fillString),toLength)])

Ugh. That should be the same as
return fillString + (toLength-length(fillString))*fillChar

MRAB

Terry said:
digz said:
Hi,
I am trying to convert a | delimited file to fixed width by right
padding with spaces, Here is how I have written the program , just get
the feeling this can be done in a much better ( python functional )
way rather than the procedural code i have below . Any help
appreciated

#!/usr/bin/python
def rightFill(fillString, toLength, fillChar):
return fillString+''.join([fillChar for x in range(len
(fillString),toLength)])

Ugh. That should be the same as
return fillString + (toLength-length(fillString))*fillChar
Ugh. That should be the same as
return fillString.ljust(toLength, fillChar)

(and there's no function length()) ;-)

Tim Chase

Caveat: none of the solutions (including mine) deal with the case of
the field being longer than the width. You might want to throw an
exception.

Alternatively, you can just crop the results. Tweaking MRAB's
elegant solution:

field_widths = [14, 6, 18, 21, 21, 4, 6]
infile = open("input.csv")
out = open("ouptut.csv", 'w')

for fields in csv.reader(infile, delimiter='|'):
padded_fields = [
# pad, and then crop
field.ljust(width)[:width]
for field, width
in zip(fields, field_widths)
]
out.write("".join(padded_fields) + "\n")

infile.close()
out.close()

If you want them right-justified, you can use

field.rjust(width)[-width:]

-tkc