converting rtf to JPEG?

Tim

Since rtf files cause so many troubles, i.e., allow the users to download the
files, slow loading, incompatible with other browser, and so on. Do you think
I should convert them to JPEG files to embeb them into HTML? Once converting
to JPEG, it is easier to programming in HTML (i.e., just add the image tag),
load faster, and prevent the user from download the files? Do you think
that's a good idea.
thanks

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= wrote on 14 dec 2005 in
Since rtf files cause so many troubles, i.e., allow the users to
download the files, slow loading, incompatible with other browser, and
so on. Do you think I should convert them to JPEG files to embeb them
into HTML? Once converting to JPEG, it is easier to programming in
HTML (i.e., just add the image tag), load faster, and prevent the user
from download the files? Do you think that's a good idea.

No.

Despite this not being an ASP issus, as the repeated translation would play
havoc on server cpu time, it also would increase download time enormously.

What is wrong with HTML/CSS for text and pictures?

Patrice

What do you try to do with RTF ? Is this to display text ? If yes, why can't
you use just text...

paul

..jpg or .jpeg images on .asp or .htm or .html pages on the Internet
sounds all around better than .rtf pages to me.

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com
Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Tim

Hi all,
I use rft files not txt because I have to. There is a software vendor that
sells the program to convert the rtf files to JPEG. So, Evertjan, I don't do
the translation on the server. How can I prevent the users to down load files
onto their computer? Isn't it very slow to load the files on the user's
browser? It seems to me that I should use the converter, but I am not sure so
that's why I post the question.

Paul, look like you know the problem. I'd like to make sure I go the right
direction. Any tips about it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Evertjan.

wrote on 14 dec 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I use rft files not txt because I have to. There is a software vendor
that sells the program to convert the rtf files to JPEG. So, Evertjan,
I don't do the translation on the server.

So where is your ASP question?
How can I prevent the users to down load files onto their computer?

The only way is not to allow the users to download the file,
if you don't mind not showing the file to the user.
Isn't it very slow to load the files on the user's browser?

That depends on the connection and the size of the jpg.
It seems to me that I should use the converter,
but I am not sure so that's why I post the question.

Do some testing, and if there is an ASP related question,
this NG is a good start.

Patrice

IMO we really need the whole picture. What are those RTF files ? How are
they produced ? Is this some kind of online document management application
? Do you have some kind of right management problem ?

You could also use the PDF or the some kind of e-Book format that AFAIK
includes some kind of protection scheme. The user must download the file to
have something viewable client side. A JPG file could be processed by an OCR
software to get the text.

Finally it's likely the image file is bigger than just the corrresponding
text.

I assume you have some kind of document management while the usual user
interface uses HTML ?

Tim

So where is your ASP question?
My ASP question is how can I embed the rtf files into ASP project without
allowing the users to download/alter them? And I would like to use loop to go
through all rtf files.
The only way is not to allow the users to download the file,
if you don't mind not showing the file to the user.
That's why I am interested in JPEG. By converting to JPEG, in my opinion,
the rtf (or text) files will become images and it would not be downloaded by
coding. I still don't know how to code it but I am sure there is a way. Of
course, maybe I am wrong.
------------------
IMO we really need the whole picture. What are those RTF files ? How are
they produced ? Is this some kind of online document management application
? Do you have some kind of right management problem ?
Sorry if I can tell you more in details. Just understand that now I got a
bulk of rtf files that I need to play around to put them on the internet
using ASP.

Thank you for trying helping.
Tim

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= wrote on 14 dec 2005 in
My ASP question is how can I embed the rtf files into ASP project
without allowing the users to download/alter them?

This NG is not about "asp-projects embedding" [definition?],
but about ASP being a platform for serverside coding.

Whatever you send to the user must be downloaded, because there is no
difference between those words.
And I would like to use loop to go through all rtf files.

Elementary:

<%
for n=0 to RTFmax
%>
<%
next
%>

That's why I am interested in JPEG. By converting to JPEG, in my
opinion, the rtf (or text) files will become images and it would not
be downloaded by coding. I still don't know how to code it but I am
sure there is a way. Of course, maybe I am wrong.

"downloaded by coding", how else would you download something?

Text in jpg can be reconstructed to simple text by software,
unless you make the jpg so bad, it is even a problem for human reading.

and the jpg-s themselves can be saved to the local hd easily.

ASP, being serverside technology has nothing to do with your obfuscation
efforts, unless it does some serverside task.

Once the stream has left the server, ASP is not involved.

I think, unless you are comfortable by a goal of preventing 80% of the
users, the lazy ones, to counter your ineffective measures, you are out of
luck. And ASP will not help you.

Setting a authentication, and limiting the number of users to trusted users
[and perhaps certified lazy users], whom you do not mind using your rtf-s,
is a better approach.

Larry Bud

Tim said:
My ASP question is how can I embed the rtf files into ASP project without
allowing the users to download/alter them? And I would like to use loop to go
through all rtf files.

You're doing this the hard way. Convert all your stuff to PDF, and if
you're concerned about alteration, put passwords on them, and let
people download all they want.
That's why I am interested in JPEG. By converting to JPEG, in my opinion,
the rtf (or text) files will become images and it would not be downloaded by
coding. I still don't know how to code it but I am sure there is a way. Of
course, maybe I am wrong.

Everything in a browser is downloaded, that's why you can see it.
And if someone can see it, they can take a snapshot of it.